The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

1. Can someone tell me if there is a specification for "no major players" in ASA church softball.

2. How do I get access to the listing of major players for ASA.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Let's see. Let me get out my Church Softball book... um....

There is no such thing.

"Major Players"???

I don't think anyone here knows what you might be referring to.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology for your association, again, I'm from USSSA.

In USSSA we have an Elite Players list, and a Major Players list. There are rules about so many elite or major players in the different classifications of softball. There are also "program" eligibility rules (i.e., black american program can have 2 men playing that are not african american, etc.)

We go to a church that has a really good church softball team, and they will participate in church state in a few weeks, and they have asked my husband to go. They are playing a church tourney this weekend, and my husband was told he couldn't play because he was a "major player."

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTEThey are playing a church tourney this weekend, and my husband was told he couldn't play because he was a "major player."

[/B][/QUOTE]

Let me restate that - they are playing an ASA tourney this weekend - they were told it was Church B????, and he was told he couldn't play . . .

He really couldn't care less about playing this weekend, I was just wondering if there were written rules on the subject.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TulsaRed
1. Can someone tell me if there is a specification for "no major players" in ASA church softball.
ASA has a Major classification for Church ball.

Quote:

2. How do I get access to the listing of major players for ASA.
A Major player is one who is on the roster of a Major team. Unlike some other organizations, in ASA, teams or their players cannot play down.

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

He is not listed on a roster of any kind this year - as I stated before, he is retired. Hasn't played on a Major team for the last two years in ASA.
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He is not listed on a roster of any kind this year - as I stated before, he is retired. Hasn't played on a Major team for the last two years in ASA.
Then I would not see where that is a problem. Sounds like the local boys just don't want him to play.

He might want to call the ASA commissioner or player rep for that area.

Old Thu May 26, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Is it any different for "open" ball? Class A, B, C, D ? From what I'm hearing, you are saying that ASA doesn't classify "players" - so without him being on any roster for any team, he should be able to play at any level?
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 12:08am
Ref Ump Welsch

Like Mike said, if your husband isn't on a team's roster at the major level this year, he should be eligible to play on your team. Sounds like you better give the commissioner or player rep in your area a call. Sounds like some of the boys are "wimping" out and don't want him playing.
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it any different for "open" ball? Class A, B, C, D ? From what I'm hearing, you are saying that ASA doesn't classify "players" - so without him being on any roster for any team, he should be able to play at any level?
ASA does not classify players. To the best of my knowledge and the only instance I can find in the code of any "list" of players is that of those who participated at the now-defunct Super level.

Old Fri May 27, 2005, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. We have sent an email to our local commissioner. I appreciate your help!