The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

What do your associations do with regards to a banquet for the officials? Our group had a dinner, etc. this past Monday, Jan. 21. Our season is not over yet so some of us were working games and missed the affair. Seems to me that just after the season ends might be a better time. What do other folks do?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Our banquet is held after the state finals. It is free for all members and $10.00 for a guest. We usually have a pretty good time and there are awards for JV official of the year, rec ball award of the year, and the biggie is an award (named for a former official), that goes to the varsity official of the year. The selection is made by a selection committee. Also, our assignor passes out gag awards (certificates) for things such as quickest T in a game (last year's winner gave it in 48 seconds!), most articles of clothing left at a school, etc. We look forward to her "certificates".
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Ours is the Monday before the finals weekend. We go pretty high class, one of our members works at muirfield village so they hook us up.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
Ours is actually on the Monday night of the NCAA final game. It has been this way for over 20 years and we have used the same banquet facility for the past 10. Our only problem is over the past five years we seem to be not getting as many members as you would think to come out. I mean the banquet is part of your dues so it's already paid for by the officials, as we pay our dues a year in advance. It's an open bar with buffet style food from 6:30 PM until the end of the game, and the food is pretty good. Out of 150 members we probably only get 75 to 90 guys to come out.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Also, our assignor passes out gag awards (certificates) for things such as quickest T in a game (last year's winner gave it in 48 seconds!)
Does this include pre-game T's? If so, I had 3 before the start of a game once.

BTW, my IM league is seriously considering creating a "Mr. T" award - guess who the recipient would be this year!
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

We have had less and less attendance at our post-season ref banquet in the last few years so we are trying something different this year. Our final ref meeting (before the season ends) will be held at a pizza place and will be a combination meeting/party. Refs and their families are invited. Hopefully we'll have a big turnout since it's on a night that they are used to attending meetings (Mondays), it's before the season ends, and they get credit for attending a meeting by coming to the party.

Z
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
We have finally found a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. We have our BBQ (banquet seemed to not be that popular) on the same night that we hold our elections for the coming season. This gets a better crowd for the meeting, cause we all like food that we already paid for, plus it gives a much better representation for the voting.

Since we do this in February, we do it on a Sunday evening, which takes away the excuse of having a game for over 95% of the members.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

We have ours after the season, usually in mid-April. Pretty high class, at a local country club or such. We hold elections for the next year AND hand out paychecks for the year just ended. This usually makes for a high percentage of attendees.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Banquet? What's a banquet?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
We. . .hand out paychecks for the year just ended.
What paychecks do you hand out? Payment for games? If so, why don't the schools send out the game checks? I don't understand at all

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Paychecks

We also do paychecks at meetings.

Chuck, in our association, the schools contact the association for refs and pay the association, the association then cuts a check for your games. I find this very convenient.

Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
We. . .hand out paychecks for the year just ended.
What paychecks do you hand out? Payment for games? If so, why don't the schools send out the game checks? I don't understand at all

Chuck
Payment through the association, perhaps?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Paychecks

Quote:
Originally posted by physicsref
in our association, the schools contact the association for refs and pay the association, the association then cuts a check for your games.
I've been on this board and McGriff's for 5 years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. Not sure I like it, but it's interesting.

Does the association provide you with a breakdown of payments for each school you worked? If not, how do you know that you got paid for all your games?

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Paychecks

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by physicsref
in our association, the schools contact the association for refs and pay the association, the association then cuts a check for your games.
I've been on this board and McGriff's for 5 years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. Not sure I like it, but it's interesting.

Does the association provide you with a breakdown of payments for each school you worked? If not, how do you know that you got paid for all your games?

Chuck
PBOA (Portland Basketball Officials Association) does it this way. They collect from the schoolw and pay us. The assignor takes his cut off the top. It works out great, since we don't have to do the collecting ourselves. We get a list of what schools we worked at and when, what level and so on. It also includes mileage. I highly recommend it.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Also, our assignor passes out gag awards (certificates) for things such as quickest T in a game (last year's winner gave it in 48 seconds!)
Does this include pre-game T's? If so, I had 3 before the start of a game once.

BTW, my IM league is seriously considering creating a "Mr. T" award - guess who the recipient would be this year!
I noted in some of your previous posts that you "T" a lot. Is this basically because you work intramural games? I was in a fraternity in college so I know what @ssholes or team was.