The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is it travelling? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/3836-travelling.html)

scupitt Tue Jan 22, 2002 01:01pm

Is it travelling? Clearer question.

Let me be a little clearer: There is a loose ball on the floor. A player dives onto the floor for the loose ball, secures it, and slides on the floor. He does not make an attempt to get up and does not roll away from the defender. Does the action of the player sliding on the floor with the ball constitute a travelling violation?

[Edited by scupitt on Jan 22nd, 2002 at 01:21 PM]

Mark Padgett Tue Jan 22, 2002 01:07pm

If, in your opinion (I assume you are the official) the sliding was a result of the effort to obtain possession of the ball on the floor, then there is no travel.

NOw, if this happened in your driveway, you might have a graveling violation. ;)

zebraman Tue Jan 22, 2002 01:25pm

Mark,

From your response, I can tell that you have another situation in mind when sliding <b> would </b> be a travel. Can you enlighten me.

Thanks,

Z

P.S. The "graveling" violation was cornier than a field in Nebraska. :)

Rookie Tue Jan 22, 2002 01:37pm

What about this sitch. Player A1 is going for a rebound and slips and falls, on his way down he catches the ball? Is he traveling?

If you fall down with the ball, it is traveling. If you catch the ball on your back, and don't get up, it is nothing.

Lotto Tue Jan 22, 2002 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rookie
What about this sitch. Player A1 is going for a rebound and slips and falls, on his way down he catches the ball? Is he traveling?

If you fall down with the ball, it is traveling. If you catch the ball on your back, and don't get up, it is nothing.

This is traveling. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball travels, no matter whether he/she caught the ball while standing on the floor or in the air. See NCAA Rule 4.64.5 A.R. 36.

The same Approved Ruling deals with what happens when a player obtains the ball on the floor and then slides or rolls.

Mark Padgett Tue Jan 22, 2002 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Mark,

From your response, I can tell that you have another situation in mind when sliding <b> would </b> be a travel. Can you enlighten me.

Thanks,

Z

P.S. The "graveling" violation was cornier than a field in Nebraska. :)

Of course it would be traveling if the player's momentum stopped and he continued to slide of his own Accord (or Camry, for that matter).

This brings to mind a Davism. A player gained control of the ball while sitting on the floor but then began to scoot forward. Dave called a travel. The howler monkey asked why that was a travel. Dave said, "He moved his pivot cheek, coach."

Speaking of corny - here's today's pun. A man enters a pun contest. He figures he can increase his chance of winning by submitting not one but ten puns. He thought that at least one would win but - no pun in ten did.

mick Tue Jan 22, 2002 04:06pm

Don't ferget

Quote:

Originally posted by Rookie

Did he touch the floor with any part of his body other than his hands or feet (or knee in CCA)? Then, yes.

Rookie,
Don't forget to let this player sit up. Sitting up is legal.
mick

Hawks Coach Tue Jan 22, 2002 04:12pm

Re: Don't ferget

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Rookie,
Don't forget to let this player sit up. Sitting up is legal.
mick
Unless the player is Mark P - if he sits up, he's liable to start talkin,' and if he starts talkin' . . .

Mark Dexter Tue Jan 22, 2002 07:39pm

Re: Re: Don't ferget

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach

Unless the player is Mark P - if he sits up, he's liable to start talkin,' and if he starts talkin' . . .

Maybe we need to get him some of those meds that JRut is supposedly taking.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 23, 2002 12:21am

I don't think Rut always takes his pills. That means he should have some left over for Mark! :D

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 23, 2002 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
I don't think Rut always takes his pills. That means he should have some left over for Mark! :D
I do work in a pharmacy . . .

Peter Devana Wed Jan 23, 2002 09:31pm

NO!!!

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Peter Devana

NO!!!

I would never sell drugs under the counter. I wouldn't want to lose my medical license before I got it.

JRutledge Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:49pm

Redman says, "Whatever man."

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Maybe we need to get him some of those meds that JRut is supposedly taking.
I am not the one talking about a person that does not exist. ;) I do not think I am the one that needs the medication, I am not the one hallucinating.

Peace

Mark Dexter Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:57pm

Are you talking about Dave? He does exist!