The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Length-of-the court basket is talk of Toledo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Associated Press
Long after the fans who saw Toledo Whitmer and Toledo St. John's play on last Saturday forget that St. John's won 63-46, they're likely to remember one play.

Whitmer's Darnell Randolph, while saving the ball from going out of bounds at the Whitmer baseline, threw it toward the other end of the court. It bounced somewhere near the foul line and went into the basket on one hop, but was ruled as a 2-point basket rather than a 3-pointer because of the bounce.

“I've been coaching for 24 years and never saw anything like that, and probably never will again,” Whitmer coach Bruce Smith said Monday night.

“Darnell's a pretty athletic kid and he grabbed the ball in his right hand, swung around and just heaved it. It must have gone 20 feet in the air before it bounced and went in. There wasn't anything else on that half of the court at the time, just the ball.

“We kept on playing and it wasn't until the next timeout that the referees conferred and decided it was a 2-pointer.”

Ok, I'll bite....why not a 3 pointer??

Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 11:00pm
Administrator

The field goal try ended when the ball hit the floor without going through the basket, therefore the only thing that happened is that a live ball went through the basket resulting in a two point field goal.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Come on Lark. I'm a Rookie and I knew that was only a 2 pointer.

RookieDude
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
“We kept on playing and it wasn't until the next timeout that the referees conferred and decided it was a 2-pointer.”
Can they do this?

If they clearly signaled "3," this isn't a bookkeeping mistake. (At least the game wasn't won/lost by one point.)
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

In a game that was decided by 17 points? Give him 10 points!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Can they do this?

If they clearly signaled "3," this isn't a bookkeeping mistake. (At least the game wasn't won/lost by one point.)
Doesn't say either way how they signalled. My guess was the book never looked at an official, everybody was going nuts, and it was the next deadball when the book realized, I don't know how to record this...
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it matters if they signaled a 3. I believe you can correct a score anytime during the game.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Rule 5-1 Goal made when a live ball enters the basket from above.
Rule 5-2 Thrown ball from beyond 3 point line that does not touch floor counts as 3.
Rule 2-11 Allows referee to correct bookkeeping mistake at any time during the game.

Always be ready for the unexpected.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it was wrong they got the score right, I wonder why they decided to huddle about it.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

This is a TWO point basket

As spectacular as Darnell Randolph's effort was while trying to save a ball from going out of bounds it is still a two point basket. Notice that I did not label it as a shot, because (based on the news article) you can not reasonably call it a shot.

Although the ball was released outside of the 3-pt arch, it last touched a playing surface (near the FT line) before entering the basket.

Using Don Fowler's rule citations; (Thanks Don)
Rule 5-1 Goal made when a live ball enters the basket from above. (This consition is met)
Rule 5-2 Thrown ball from beyond 3 point line that does not touch floor counts as 3. (This condition is NOT met; therefore 2 pt basket)
Rule 2-11 Allows referee to correct bookkeeping mistake at any time during the game. (This is immaterial, because the scorer had it right.)

Brian:
I would suggest that the officials huddled just to confirm that they had the right ruling based on the observations of all involved.

THE OFFICIALS GOT THIS ONE RIGHT!

Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
In a game that was decided by 17 points? Give him 10 points!

I'm with paulis on this one!
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

This would not be a 3 even if it went directly into the basket. Did it not go into the opponent's basket?