The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

New Official - What next?

I got an email from a new official who asked: I passed the test, what next?
My reply is below. Any other advice to newbies?

Congratulations on joining the officiating ranks. The next steps from the PIAA website are listed at the end of this email. You now need to affiliate with a local chapter. You should have received a list of chapters and their secretaries from the PIAA. Some things you might consider (in no particular order or importance) are:

1. convenience (does the chapter hold meetings near your work or home)
2.development opportunities
a. what training and assignment opportunities does the chapter offer new officials? Check out their web site (f they have one) and talk to a chapter officer.
b. Does the chapter have a good reputation for developing new officials – you can ask around (chapter members, other officials, coaches)
3. Does the chapter help members to work in leagues and areas that you are interested in?
4. Does the chapter membership seem like a group of people you will enjoy being around (again talk to at least one officer and ask around if possible)
5. What are the chapter requirements beyond the state wide meeting requirements (e.g. fees, additional meetings)

Try to get some supervised mechanics and game training experience. Your chapter should be able to help. To get assignments you need to make yourself known to assignors and fellow officials and let them know that you will be available for work. Be sure that if you make a commitment to work you keep it or provide as much advance notice in as professional manner as possible if you need to cancel.

Hope this helps. If you get stuck and need some leads on specific people to talk to, let me know along with identifying which area you live in. Information on organizations, training camps and assignors is available on phillyref.com.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why not just have the new official call you?

A lot of what you are telling him is a local issue. I just think talking to people directly is always better than email. Email is so impersonal and does not explain a lot of information you listed. It is very possible that a lot of what you listed will get lost in translation.

Peace