The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

This season has been rough on me when it come s to lane violations on free throws. I am calling them. My partners are not!! And I am not calling them unless I am very sure that the lane was violated before ball touched rim or backboard. And I warn the players everytime I administer the free throws. Last night I waived off a free throw in the last twenty seconds on a team that needed it to tie a game. I avoided a lynching, but you can picture the response of coach and fans. After the game my partner said I had more guts than he did. I am getting questioned regularly for calling something my partners are not. Anyone else seeing the same thing or am I being a crybaby?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely on 02-03-2000 02:21 PM
This season has been rough on me when it come s to lane violations on free throws. I am calling them. My partners are not!! And I am not calling them unless I am very sure that the lane was violated before ball touched rim or backboard. And I warn the players everytime I administer the free throws. Last night I waived off a free throw in the last twenty seconds on a team that needed it to tie a game. I avoided a lynching, but you can picture the response of coach and fans. After the game my partner said I had more guts than he did. I am getting questioned regularly for calling something my partners are not. Anyone else seeing the same thing or am I being a crybaby?

I know our guys have been applying the advantage/disadvantage concept to this play. If the ball goes in does it really matter if someone violated?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

As long as you're sure that a player clearly violated, I think you need braver partners.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 06:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

quote:
Originally posted by KidKJ on 02-03-2000 02:27 PM

I know our guys have been applying the advantage/disadvantage concept to this play. If the ball goes in does it really matter if someone violated?

With all due respect, I really don't understand your comment at all. If you have a delayed violation on the non-shooting team, by rule you ignore the violation if the shot goes in. If you have a violation on the shooting team, you blow the whistle immediately.

Saying "if the ball goes in does it really matter if someone violated" explains exactly why the rule is the way it is.

You seem to be saying you never call a shooting team violation and don't call non-shooting violations even if the shot is missed.

If that's the case, what violations DO you call?

Again, I'm not flaming here, just confused.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely on 02-03-2000 02:21 PM

Dennis,

You and your partners need to get on the same page.

Since you know "your partners are not" calling the violations you need to bring this up in your pre-game!

If you call the lane violations tight and your partner does not, then how can the players hope to have any consistency?

Dave Libby, NCAA Div. 1 veteran, says if his partner passes on a obvious foul on one end of the court how can he call the "touch" foul on the team that just got hammered and didn't get a call. You "screw" that team twice.

In other words, officiate the same game.

Do you call alot of 3 second in the key violations? Or do you tell the players to get out? Most officials do the latter.

I also believe most officials, myself included, would not call a free throw lane violation that late in the game, with the game on the line. Unless it was very blatent.

Just some friendly advice.

Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by divey on 02-04-2000 12:25 AM
If you call the lane violations tight and your partner does not, then how can the players hope to have any consistency?

Do you call alot of 3 second in the key violations? Or do you tell the players to get out? Most officials do the latter.

I also believe most officials, myself included, would not call a free throw lane violation that late in the game, with the game on the line. Unless it was very blatent.

Good comments, divey. Free throw lane violations offer a lot of room for leniency, unless you want to be calling violations all night. Everyone is trying to get that "edge" on the other guy without violating, but sometimes (often?) they stretch the timing of it. Unless it is a CLEAR violation, pass on it, and continue to have a word of reminder to them before the next free throw. Splitting hairs by saying they stepped over the lane line with their foot just before the ball hit the rim is going to make for a LONNNGGG game, and a fair number of exasperated players. Same at the end of the game--NO ONE wants a game determined by a lane violation, so bite that whistle unless given no choice.

The 3-second rule likewise allows lots of discretion, and I too try to tell them to get out of there. Nothing breaks the flow of a game more than younger officials (and some "veteran" guys, too) eager to call that violation. Game management is just as important as strict rule enforcement.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited February 04, 2000).]
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Lightbulb

I, myself, have noticed that I have been calling more lane violations than my partners. However, I also believe I am pretty darn lenient as well. I never call a player for going over a line, yet not touching the floor, before the ball hits rim. I have been calling the obvious, i.e., a player is standing on the line after the FT has been administered or the player actually enters the lane and puts a foot down before the ball hits rim. I think that is fair.

Last night, out of peripheral vision, I saw a guy on the lane (who was my partner's responsibility) commit a violation. He didn't call it. It was obvious! Since it was my partner's responsibility, I passed on it. So...the question arises, should I call the violation even though the player in error is my partner's responsibility? This has happened more than once this year, and I have passed on calling it everytime...and, of course, the coach usually notices the violation and rants and raves! What do you guys say?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Angry

By calling a lane violation which right next to you, but your partners responsibility, is a great way of sending the message to your partner, "LETS GET ON THE SAME PAGE". I feel personally that thing s like lane violations called early in the game prevents them from occuring late in the game. I guess that alot of guys just go out of their way to not call them.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref on 02-04-2000 10:04 AM
So...the question arises, should I call the violation even though the player in error is my partner's responsibility? This has happened more than once this year, and I have passed on calling it everytime...and, of course, the coach usually notices the violation and rants and raves! What do you guys say?

If you've noticed this happening several times, you might want to cover it in your pre-game with your partner: "If we see an OBVIOUS violation on our non-primary line, let's call it and get it right. Then we can talk first chance to find out if it was missed or passed on. OK?" I do make that call on occasion, but I also work with the same partner most games, so we have that understanding. With different guys every night, I'd want to pre-game it if I think of it.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I am glad this is generating some discussion and to respond to one of you, I usually give ample warning to get out of lane before calling second calls. I think the best advice so far has been - Pregame let it be known we want to call a consistent game and go over issues i.e. lane violations, hand checking, 3 seconds, how to help each other out etc.

By the way on not calling a lane violation late in the game with the game on the line unless blatant seems reasonable. But how do you do that if you have called it a couple of times earlier in the game? Aren't you giving advantage to an easy rebound to the player who is in the lane earlier than the other players who happened to notice earlier calls and warnings?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

good advice from divey and todd. Focus your attention on advantage, disadvantage.