Thread: Lane Violations
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely on 02-03-2000 02:21 PM
This season has been rough on me when it come s to lane violations on free throws. I am calling them. My partners are not!! And I am not calling them unless I am very sure that the lane was violated before ball touched rim or backboard. And I warn the players everytime I administer the free throws. Last night I waived off a free throw in the last twenty seconds on a team that needed it to tie a game. I avoided a lynching, but you can picture the response of coach and fans. After the game my partner said I had more guts than he did. I am getting questioned regularly for calling something my partners are not. Anyone else seeing the same thing or am I being a crybaby?

Dennis,

You and your partners need to get on the same page.

Since you know "your partners are not" calling the violations you need to bring this up in your pre-game!

If you call the lane violations tight and your partner does not, then how can the players hope to have any consistency?

Dave Libby, NCAA Div. 1 veteran, says if his partner passes on a obvious foul on one end of the court how can he call the "touch" foul on the team that just got hammered and didn't get a call. You "screw" that team twice.

In other words, officiate the same game.

Do you call alot of 3 second in the key violations? Or do you tell the players to get out? Most officials do the latter.

I also believe most officials, myself included, would not call a free throw lane violation that late in the game, with the game on the line. Unless it was very blatent.

Just some friendly advice.