The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

The boys are warming up @ halftime of the girls game in HS. There is a dunk and everyone sees it including your crew.
What is the call? Is it a "T"???
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

No, it's not. This is a game management issue. The boys who are dunking are simply boys, as you have a girls game being played. You have no jurisdiction over them. At the most, you can have game manangement remove them from the floor.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

If game management allows non-participants in the current game on the court at halftime, what jurisdiction do you have? They have the same staus as the pom squad don't they? As long as they don't prevent a team from warming up and the AD lets them on the floor, what do you care what they do?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
NO T u have no jurdistiction
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

You could ask game management to not let players warm up at halftime, but you can't enforce game rules on kids who aren't part of your game.

Z
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

What if I have my varsity boys team do a slam dunk competition at halftime of my girls varsity game? what would you ask game management to do? where can you call anything?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
Coach, I hear what you are saying. However, I think that in the best interest of the game, you should not have boys dunking during half-time of a girls game. You are telling them that they cannot dunk in their own pregame, but they can dunk during the girls game. I think the reason they do not allow dunking during warmups is to protect the players from injuries, (those trying to dunk who really cannot), and to protect equipment from being broken. This is not a matter that the officials should be dealing with at all. It is a game management situation, and they should handle it as they see fit. Hopefully, it is in everybodies best interest.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone realy know why they don't allow dunks in warmups? I don't think it is a safty issue or they wouldn't allow it during the game. As far as the girls half time, who cares, let them have fun.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Of course it a safety issue. Duyring a game, dunking is legal. But if you make it legal during warmups, every kid on the team is going to try and dunk. The increase in broken backboards would be tremendous.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

These kids spend hours on the court each week, and we are concerned with a 15 minute time period? Like they can't dunk like madmen for an hour before you ever see them. Warm-up for practice every day when I was in high school was an impromptu slam dunk contest - not that my 5-7, non-jumping @$$ was ever in it! I should add that this was sophomore year on because dunking was illegal my freshman year. Once they made it legal to dunk, they by default said it was safe.

I have to admit, I have never seen this as a safety or equipment issue, but one of policing hotdogging in the name of sportsmanship (Probably by a bunch of people who don't like behind-the-back dribbles either ).
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 10:00pm
Administrator

Whenever I have a situation like the one in the original posting, I just aske the boys if they shave their legs everyday? If they say yes they can stay on the court, if they say no, they have to leave.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Please allow me to twist this a little. Suppose the varsity and Jvarsity come on the same bus. The JV are dressing and officials are present on the floor and varsity boy dunks.
What have you got then?
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Since the varsity gam has not started you cant t up the varsity player however for the sake of the game you should ask game management to remove them from the floor
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
Please allow me to twist this a little. Suppose the varsity and Jvarsity come on the same bus. The JV are dressing and officials are present on the floor and varsity boy dunks.
What have you got then?
Nothing. The official's authority for the varsity game starts when the varsity refs come on to the floor.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I could be wrong but I always thought the intent of the rule was to keep the crowd from becoming too rambunctious before the game started.