The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating in Arizona

Looks like I'm moving to Phoenix area. Anyone have any experience there? I know about the AIA, but they don't say much on their website. Looks like they do 2-man. Is that right? Who assigns or do you have to go get your own games? Any info is appreciated.

Mregor

Last edited by Mregor; Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 09:52pm.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
I'm in Tucson but we use basically the same system. It is still 2 man for regular season games. Some tournaments we run 3 man. In PHX you're on a crew for varsity games, that means 1 partner all season. Horrible idea if you ask me. Also you'll come in as a level 5, which means they evaluate you and then decide if you can do varsity games right off the bat or if you have to do Frosh / JV games. ALL assignments come out of the AIA office. So at least you don't have to hussle your own games. If you have any other questions, let me know.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Sign up on the website...have whomever is assigning your games now write to the AIA verifying your experience level.

You don't have to have a regular partner, most do, but there are enough schedule changes that you can be a sub and work just as much, if not more.

The kickoff meeting is usually the first or second Monday in Oct. You can expect another 3-5 rules meetings, plus test night. Varsity officials are also required to work at least one preseason scrimmage.

From what I'm hearing there will be a 3 person clinic the end of Sept or early Oct.

Most of the holiday tournaments will be 3 person.

All the arena games...state semi and championship games...will also use 3 officials.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
From what I'm hearing there will be a 3 person clinic the end of Sept or early Oct.
So if Mregor shows up, it'll be a 4 person clinic? That's a pretty small association.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the valuabe input (excluding Padgett of course ). I won't be there until late Nov - early Dec so I'm sure I'll be "punished" for missing the rule meetings. I like working with the same partner personally. I did that in Madison. Not so sure I like the idea of going back to 2-man. I'll miss my slot official.

Mregor
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
You can expect another 3-5 rules meetings, plus test night.
All testing is online this year. At ESO. However, if you've already signed up, you'll need a new account w/ your AIA computer number entered. You should have a 30 day window to take the test.