The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 25, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

New Official Certification in Different States

It's that time of year when many prospects will begin the process of joining the basketball officiating ranks. I've drafted an article to help with the process and invite forum members to join in. Please review, add, edit, suggest, critique or whatever. In particular, I've started a section at the end to summarize the procedures for specific states. I officiate in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and have started with those states.

The article is also posted on phillyref.com/basketball and will be updated there with your input from the forum.

Here's the article.

Becoming A Certified Basketball Official

The process to become a certified basketball official begins each year in September in many states. Each state has a High School Athletic Association that oversees the certification of new officials. This certification is generally required to officiate High School varsity games and may also be required for many sub-varsity, elementary school, middle school, recreation, travel league and AAU games.

Generally, the minimal requirements for certification are a passing grade on a state association approved basketball official examination and affiliation with a state approved officials association. The most widely used exam is provided by the National Federation of High School (http://nfhs.org/). A second, widely used exam is provided by the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials (http://iaabo.org/).

Procedures for certification vary from state to state. A summary of procedures for selected states is presented at the end of this article.

If you need help in starting the process of becoming a certified basketball official, phillyref.com suggests the following steps.

1. Identify and consult with one or more basketball officials in your local area who you respect and who are highly regarded as basketball officials.

2. Check your state association web site for information on becoming a certified official. A list of state associations links is available on phillyref.com/basketball.

3.Identify and research local associations in your area that certify basketball officials. Research could include viewing an association website and talking to current members or other officials and coaches familiar with the association. phillyref.com/basketball/ includes links to local association web sites throughout the United States and in some foreign countries.

4. Select and contact a local association and arrange to complete the requirements for certification. As previously noted, this is likely to included enrolling in a course and passing a certification exam. A fee is likely to be charged for both activities as well as an additional membership fee after you are certified as an official.

5. If you reach a dead end, send an email to phillyref.com or post a message to the
Officials Forum for basketball. The officiating community is expansive and includes many knowledgable officials willing to help you.

New Official Certification Procedure Summaries For Selected States

New Jersey

7 of the 10 certified local associations in New Jersey are IAABO boards. 2 of the remaining boards are targeted to serving female teams and the third (CEJBO) serves the Central New Jersey area along with IAABO boards. A candidate may select one of the IAABO boards and enroll in a 10 week cadet class. The class starts in September and prepares enrollees for the national IAABO test in November. Cadets who pass the test with a score of 87% or better and meet any additional officials association requirements are certified by the state association (http://njsiaa.org/).

The 3 non-IAABO boards have separate procedures for obtaining official certification from NJSIAA.

Pennsylvania

The Pennsylvania State Association (http://piaa.org/) administers the NFHS test 3 times a year (February, June and October). A passing score of 75% or better is required for certification. A certified official may affiliate with a local state approved chapter of his or her choosing.

Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 04:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is just a suggestion. I would change the terminology to "licensed" rather than certification. I know my state alone considers becoming "certified" as a promotion distinction for already licensed officials. Any time a state requires a set of standards (in just about anything) they usually consider that a license. Not a big deal, but it might be somewhat more accurate.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From Connecticut, check this out. Click on the link under "Do You Want to Be An Official?":

http://www.casciac.org/ciacofficials.shtml
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Point well taken. I looked at 4 states and found 3 designations: certified (NJ and CT), registered (PA) and licensed (IL). I'll just use the term approved and note that it can mean certified, registered or licensed depending on the state. An updated version of the article is maintained at http://phillyref.com/articles/basket...ecomearef.html.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is just a suggestion. I would change the terminology to "licensed" rather than certification. I know my state alone considers becoming "certified" as a promotion distinction for already licensed officials. Any time a state requires a set of standards (in just about anything) they usually consider that a license. Not a big deal, but it might be somewhat more accurate.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 11:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

You missed the point I was trying to make. If you want most people to understand you, language should be used that is all encompassing. If you write an article that involves everyone, you do not want to confuse people that live in different jurisdictions.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Approved is the middle designation in Nebraska. Registered then Approved then Certified.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Jeff. The article now includes information for Connecticut, Illinois, Nebraska, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Any help on becoming an official in other states would be appreciated. The updated article is at http://phillyref.com/articles/basket...ecomearef.html .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRobinson
Approved is the middle designation in Nebraska. Registered then Approved then Certified.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Missouri

Missouri has but one level - registered.

https://www.mshsaa.org/Officials/Default.aspx
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Just a suggestion. Instead of calling it "New Official Certification Procedure Summaries For Selected States", since the word 'certification' has different connotations in different states, why not just leave the word out? "Becoming a High School Referee" works.

This would seem to be a good topic for a Wiki, if anyone is technically inclined.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Just a suggestion. Instead of calling it "New Official Certification Procedure Summaries For Selected States", since the word 'certification' has different connotations in different states, why not just leave the word out? "Becoming a High School Referee" works.

This would seem to be a good topic for a Wiki, if anyone is technically inclined.
The word was previously taken out and the current version is kept at http://phillyref.com/articles/basket...ecomearef.html. I'll give some thought to following up on the Wiki idea.