The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

There seemed to be some good input from a couple other posts, on how best a coach, with questions or objections can effectively (read safely) communicate them to the referees. As a coach, I expect that I should be allowed during a game, at least a couple, contructive, answers or explanations, for calls I either missed or don't understand, all within reason. Yes, there's a lot of testosterone flying around out there, but if everyone is reasonable and in control, these asides can really serve to improve things all around. Communication is usually a good thing, setting aside the "Howlers" and the "unaproachables" for the momment.
Since this is an official's forum, how about some feedback on the limits or lengths officials goto when addressing coaches.

EG
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, ask questions when they can be answered. Don't yell a question when the Ref is chasing down a fast break, it won't work. Timeouts, Free throws, etc. During free throws, I will position myself by a coach if I think he is going to ask a question, if you see this take the opportunity.

Finally, there is no point in arguing with the ref, even if he says that the sky is yellow, you will get nowhere in arguing with him, and you will only create animosity (sp?) between you two. If you happen to be right, take the opportunity next time you see him at one of your games to say I wanted to discuss X with you.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Easy. I'll answer any reasonable question, but maybe not
at the time it's asked. If it's a weird play or situation
I'll go over & talk to you immediately or at the next dead
ball, unless it's a timeout when I'll wait for you to be
done with your team, unless you want to waste your TO talking to me. I don't really have a problem talking to you
during your TO, some guys do, but when the first horn goes
off the conversation is done, and I mean done. If you've
been chipping all game (and one! That's a walk!), I'm
probably not going to give you the time of day. I'll talk
to you until you start repeating yourself or until you
start talking about something that happened last quarter.
If I go over to talk to you I might let you vent a little
if I think you deserve it, but otherwise be nice. I don't
have to talk to you at all so act like you appreciate it,
I'll remember it if you don't (and also if you do). Oh
yeah, none of this applies to assistants except in very
rare instances and he had better be extra nice.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Dan, if an Asst Coach ask you a question during a TO would you answer it, assuming he has been minding his P's and Q's all game. Personally, I don't see a problem here, but I have been known to give Asst coaches too much slack.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'd talk with an assistant during a timeout as long as they haven't been running their mouth the rest of the game and their questions are reasonable. If they've been on you for the little stuff, "come on" "travel" "over the back" etc. then forget it, and once that 1st horn goes, talk time is over.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Asst. coaches have a short rope if they are objecting to my game.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
Dan, if an Asst Coach ask you a question during a TO would you answer it, assuming he has been minding his P's and Q's all game. Personally, I don't see a problem here, but I have been known to give Asst coaches too much slack.
Yeah, during timeouts in a really critical part of the game
if I had not seen the assistant all game and he came to me
hat in hand I might answer while the head coach talked to
his team. But it's been my experience that the head coach will still want to hear it directly from me anyway.

My advice to you is generally give assistants no slack.
Really, you'll be better off in the long run.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I am more than happy to discuss rules, but totally unwilling to discuss judgement. I am also heistant to discuss no-calls, INMHO this usually leads to confusion and the coach getting irate. Basically, stay civil, talk in a quiet, reasonable tone, and be non-confrontational, and I am more than happy to talk to you whenever the game permits.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here's My Modus Operandi

If a coach is civil and under control, I'll always talk to him/her...for a few seconds. I'll tell them what I saw and how I interpreted it, especially if a rule is involved. Seems to me this is simply good commication skills. I know that coaches often genuinely want to know what I had on the play.

I agree with the posts above this one, however, that I won't do it the entire game and I will be very reluctant to go over and talk to a howling monkey.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 05:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Do not want to hear a word from an assistant.

If an assistant comes to you with ligitimate question in a completely calm manner, I will talk to either the head coach or assistant during a timeout. If they approach me in a confrontational manner, I will not put up with anything any assistant has to say. My best line to use is, "who is my head coach?" After that the head coach steps up and I tell him or her, "You are the only person allowed to talk to me about anything." That usually shuts up the assistants and they get the messsage. It also covers my behind so if one of the assistants gets a T, the head coach knows why. Usually the higher the level, the better this is understood. But when you get to the JV and Freshman they do not seem to get this concept very well or did not realize that they have to keep the assistants mouths shut. I have no problem with T'ing a assistant, but fortunately have always solved the problem by my words or making it clear to the head coach that assistants are meant to be seen, not heard. Ya know, like children used to be before they started talking back to every adult they see fit. But that is another conversation.

Peace