The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

State Rules Interpreter

Does anyone have any experience working as/becoming a state rules interpreter for their local chapter? Just curious to know what steps in becoming/experiences during anyone would like to share.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

State Interpreters in my state work for the state, not a local association. They run all the rules interpretation meetings (required that all officials attend and all schools attend this meeting or else).

From my understanding you do not apply someone picks you or requests that you participate. Usually Rules Interpreters are current officials or former officials that have worked the state finals (and the occasional accomplished college official that might be an educator, e.g. Ed Hightower) are usually the rules interpreters. Also the Sport Administrator can also run a rules meeting and they work directly out of the IHSA Office (and they are not officials of that sport).

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the info!
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

If you are a member of an IAABO board, then your board has a rules interpreter. My state, which is not IAABO, has currently has one for the entire state because the man is on the NFHS rules committee. If this were not the case, we would likely have one for each of our three officials' chapters.

Members of the board or the state office would select people for the positions and also entertain nominations.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 02:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Who would be the state interpreter for a group that makes up its own rules? Not that I have anyone in particular in mind.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
State Interpreters in my state work for the state, not a local association. They run all the rules interpretation meetings (required that all officials attend and all schools attend this meeting or else).

From my understanding you do not apply someone picks you or requests that you participate. Usually Rules Interpreters are current officials or former officials that have worked the state finals (and the occasional accomplished college official that might be an educator, e.g. Ed Hightower) are usually the rules interpreters. Also the Sport Administrator can also run a rules meeting and they work directly out of the IHSA Office (and they are not officials of that sport).

Peace
It's always interesting to see how the different states work things out. In Oregon, there's one state rules interpreter for NFHS, and then each association (of which there are 14, I think) has an interp'er that works with the state guy, and sort of relays questions from that association. I don't know how college things are done around here.

I do know that I WOULD NOT want to be the state rules interpreter, and I can't imagine why you'd want to, psujaye! It's a nasty job, with not a lot of glory attached, seems to me!
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

My local association has a rules interpreter which is an elected position. This local interpreter must attend state and regional meetings on a yearly basis for training and recent interpretations. There is also a regional interpreter, but I do not know how that person gained his position.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

I might not have made this part clear in my original post. In Illinois Rules Interpreter also work directly with the IHSA. They meet with the IHSA on a regular basis and give input on rulings that might be from the NF or not from the NF. Official's Association has no input on what is said or done at a Rule Interpretation Meeting.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 04:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I'm the rules interpreter for our local kids rec league. If you think that's an easy task, just remember we have about a million modifications for different grade levels in our rules.

The real pressure comes when some kid's parent claims a wrong rule interpretation cost their kid a DI scholarship.

Usually, when that comes up, I close my eyes, put my fingers in my ears and chant la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la really, really loud. Somehow, that seems to make it go away. At least, until the next idiot parent comes along.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The real pressure comes when some kid's parent claims a wrong rule interpretation cost their kid a DI scholarship.
At this point I usually tell them "that scout in the stands was here looking at somebody else's kid."
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 06:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
At this point I usually tell them "that scout in the stands was here looking at somebody else's kid."
Yeah - it gets really bad when it happens at a 3rd grade game.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Yeah - it gets really bad when it happens at a 3rd grade game.
Duh! If the scouts haven't shown any interest by the 3rd grade, it ain't gonna happen. Don't parents know that?
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 06:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Duh! If the scouts haven't shown any interest by the 3rd grade, it ain't gonna happen. Don't parents know that?
Great, that's all we need. Pressure in biddy ball.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sadly, this isn't too far from the truth.