The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   State Rules Interpreter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/37557-state-rules-interpreter.html)

psujaye Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:12pm

State Rules Interpreter

Does anyone have any experience working as/becoming a state rules interpreter for their local chapter? Just curious to know what steps in becoming/experiences during anyone would like to share.

JRutledge Wed Aug 15, 2007 01:00pm

State Interpreters in my state work for the state, not a local association. They run all the rules interpretation meetings (required that all officials attend and all schools attend this meeting or else).

From my understanding you do not apply someone picks you or requests that you participate. Usually Rules Interpreters are current officials or former officials that have worked the state finals (and the occasional accomplished college official that might be an educator, e.g. Ed Hightower) are usually the rules interpreters. Also the Sport Administrator can also run a rules meeting and they work directly out of the IHSA Office (and they are not officials of that sport).

Peace

psujaye Wed Aug 15, 2007 01:03pm

thanks for the info!

Nevadaref Wed Aug 15, 2007 02:33pm

If you are a member of an IAABO board, then your board has a rules interpreter. My state, which is not IAABO, has currently has one for the entire state because the man is on the NFHS rules committee. If this were not the case, we would likely have one for each of our three officials' chapters.

Members of the board or the state office would select people for the positions and also entertain nominations.

Mark Padgett Wed Aug 15, 2007 02:57pm

Who would be the state interpreter for a group that makes up its own rules? Not that I have anyone in particular in mind. :rolleyes:

rainmaker Wed Aug 15, 2007 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
State Interpreters in my state work for the state, not a local association. They run all the rules interpretation meetings (required that all officials attend and all schools attend this meeting or else).

From my understanding you do not apply someone picks you or requests that you participate. Usually Rules Interpreters are current officials or former officials that have worked the state finals (and the occasional accomplished college official that might be an educator, e.g. Ed Hightower) are usually the rules interpreters. Also the Sport Administrator can also run a rules meeting and they work directly out of the IHSA Office (and they are not officials of that sport).

Peace

It's always interesting to see how the different states work things out. In Oregon, there's one state rules interpreter for NFHS, and then each association (of which there are 14, I think) has an interp'er that works with the state guy, and sort of relays questions from that association. I don't know how college things are done around here.

I do know that I WOULD NOT want to be the state rules interpreter, and I can't imagine why you'd want to, psujaye! It's a nasty job, with not a lot of glory attached, seems to me!

Ref in PA Wed Aug 15, 2007 03:38pm

My local association has a rules interpreter which is an elected position. This local interpreter must attend state and regional meetings on a yearly basis for training and recent interpretations. There is also a regional interpreter, but I do not know how that person gained his position.

JRutledge Wed Aug 15, 2007 03:49pm

I might not have made this part clear in my original post. In Illinois Rules Interpreter also work directly with the IHSA. They meet with the IHSA on a regular basis and give input on rulings that might be from the NF or not from the NF. Official's Association has no input on what is said or done at a Rule Interpretation Meeting.

Peace

Mark Padgett Wed Aug 15, 2007 04:16pm

I'm the rules interpreter for our local kids rec league. If you think that's an easy task, just remember we have about a million modifications for different grade levels in our rules.

The real pressure comes when some kid's parent claims a wrong rule interpretation cost their kid a DI scholarship.

Usually, when that comes up, I close my eyes, put my fingers in my ears and chant la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la really, really loud. Somehow, that seems to make it go away. At least, until the next idiot parent comes along.

Back In The Saddle Wed Aug 15, 2007 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The real pressure comes when some kid's parent claims a wrong rule interpretation cost their kid a DI scholarship.

At this point I usually tell them "that scout in the stands was here looking at somebody else's kid." :D

Mark Padgett Wed Aug 15, 2007 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
At this point I usually tell them "that scout in the stands was here looking at somebody else's kid." :D

Yeah - it gets really bad when it happens at a 3rd grade game. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...images/ack.gif

Back In The Saddle Wed Aug 15, 2007 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Yeah - it gets really bad when it happens at a 3rd grade game. http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...images/ack.gif

Duh! If the scouts haven't shown any interest by the 3rd grade, it ain't gonna happen. Don't parents know that? :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Aug 15, 2007 06:41pm

Quote:

Duh! If the scouts haven't shown any interest by the 3rd grade, it ain't gonna happen. Don't parents know that? :rolleyes:

Great, that's all we need. Pressure in biddy ball.

Mark Dexter Wed Aug 15, 2007 08:33pm

Quote:

Sadly, this isn't too far from the truth.