Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
This has been a weakness for me, too. Here are some sentences that I have memorized that have helped some:

Coach, it's rule 4.43 (or whatever number-- the ones to memorize are travelling, 3-seconds, and PC. The numbers can change every year, so always double check when you get your new books).
Try to refrain from quoting chapter and verse of a rule to the coach. All you will accomplish is to consider you a "know-it-all" textbook official....and no..that is NOT a complement. The coach expects the officials to know the rules, but does not want to be bothered by the smugness of a quoted rule number.

Believe it or not, while it is common practice for the coaches to make snide and derogatory comments toward the officials, (NOTE: I DID NOT SAY THAT THIS WAS ACCEPTABLE) the officials are expected to refrain from retaliating in the same manner.

As a supervisor that I greatly respect puts it....There must be at least one adult in the conversation between coach and official, and that one must be the official. If the coach wants to act as a child, then he may need to be punished....but it is not acceptable to lower yourself (as the official) to an equally childlike attitude.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
"This isn't the NBA!"
I just tend to use this one straight!
I've had trouble with it. Coaches seem to think I'm being a wise-acre, although my intent really is to explain. So I've switched over to High School Rules. That gets the point across without the danger of being mis-understood. I mean, without it being my problem if they misunderstand.
I agree with Juulie.

So, I don't say, "This isn't the NBA / college." I will say, "That's the NBA / college rule. In HS the rule is as I called it." This gives the coach some "credit" for knowing a rule (even if it's not the right one) and helps calm him/her down when s/he sees the call on TV that night and it's not as I called it.