The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

seems like the jumpstop move surprizes majority of bb refs up here in n.dak (i know...), does anyone have a video clip or good explanation/source of a correctly done jumpstop vrs. what ends up being a correct traveling [email protected] thanks!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

The rule is 4-43-2. Condensed version states,
"A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
...On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case."

4-43-5 further states, "After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot:
a. One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
b. Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released, to start a dribble."

Translated for N. Dakota, ;-) this means that your dairy cow, when catching the ball after dribbling or receiving a pass, may "jump" off of the pivot hoof and land on all 4 hooves. There is now no pivot hoof, and Elsie must keep all 4 hooves on the floor unless lifting 1 or more on the release of a pass or shot. The hooves must also stay in place prior to the bull, er ball, being released on a dribble.

If the player is dribbling while standing still, they don't get to pick up the dribble and jump if they are dribbling while standing still. (Same for receiving a pass.) My interpretation is that the "jump stop" allows the player to use a "jump" to help them "stop" their momentum.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

And just remember that a foot must be on the floor at the time the jump stop is initiated for these rules to come into play. If a player picks the ball up just after pushing off the floor, a pivot foot may be utilized after the jump stop, or the player may elect to use the one-two stop.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Question Wha. .. ?

Coach, I usually think your posts are very good, but I have to tell you, I'm at a loss with this one. I just don't understand what you're saying here.

Quote:
And just remember that a foot must be on the floor at the time the jump stop is initiated for these rules to come into play.
I'm really not trying to be a smart*** here, but how else would you start a jump, except by having a foot on the floor? If you don't have a foot on the floor, then you're not jumping; you're just falling.

Quote:
If a player picks the ball up just after pushing off the floor, a pivot foot may be utilized after the jump stop, or the player may elect to use the one-two stop.
Coach, a pivot foot may never be legally used after a jump stop. Once both feet have returned to the floor, there is no pivot hoof, er, foot. Also, in order for it to be a legal jump stop, both feet must return to the floor at approximately the same time. The "one-two" stop is ok in the NBA, but we're supposed to call it a travel in HS.

Again, this is honestly not intended as one of snide posts. I just don't think your last post said what you wanted it to say.

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Good explinations. When you don't see it done very often it is hard to call the first time you see it. When you see a lot of good ball, you learn to watch for it. Just know when it is a jump stop and when it is an airborn player landing on both feet. The airborn player can pivot. The jumpstop cannot.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
Order the NFHS rules review video, one segment of it deals with the jump stop, and shows perfectly what is legal, and not legal.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, you're 0 for 2 today, in my book!

A player can most certainly start a jump stop without either foot on the floor. And he can most certainly pivot if both feet are off the floor when he catches the ball.

4-43-2a
A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

I believe you're ignorong the fact that 4-43-2a and 4-43-2b describe two legal and different ways a jump stop can be used.

BTW, Jim is correct. The NFHS Travel video has a very good jump stop segment in it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Wha. .. ?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
how else would you start a jump, except by having a foot on the floor? If you don't have a foot on the floor, then you're not jumping; you're just falling.

The first comment was simply meant to point out that you can't jump while you're already in the air. The jump stop starts by jumping off of one foot while in possession of the ball.

The second comment is absolutely true, isn't it? Once you complete your jump stop (land on one foot, jump, alight on two feet simultaneously) you cannot pivot on either foot.

Where did I go wrong?

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck
Your error is in assuming that a jump stop is initiated with a foot on the floor at the moment the player begins to pick up the ball. There are two possible sequences, jump - pick-up - land, or pick-up - jump - land. In the first sequence, the player may land with both feet and establish a pivot foot after landing, or the player may land as a one-two stop, in which case the first foot on the floor is by rule the pivot. In the latter sequence, since you pick up the ball with a foot on the floor, you must land with both feet simultaneously and you have no pivot.

Also, jump stop is smewhat of a misnomer, as it is really a two foot stop, not necessarily involving a a major jump. It is always fun to try to teach players to jump stop properly, because while you focus on how to stop, they only hear jump

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Jan 14th, 2002 at 03:13 PM]
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
4-43-2a
A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands:
1. Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.

I believe you're ignorong the fact that 4-43-2a and 4-43-2b describe two legal and different ways a jump stop can be used.
After re-reading TH's post, I think I see where the confusion lies. It was my understanding that the term "jump stop" referred ONLY to the maneuver described in #3 above. But from reading the last sentence quoted above, it seems that others are using the term "jump stop" to refer to any time a player in possession of the ball comes to a stop after jumping; which, I have to admit, makes some sense.

Am I right about this difference in usage? Or am I still totally missing what everybody else is seeing?

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I would agree with your assessment of where your confusion began. And I obviously made a quick post without context and didn't help much. In my first post, I just wanted to note quickly what I thought was fairly obvious, and discovered it was not!

To be more clear, a jump stop is another way of saying a two-foot stop as opposed to a one-two stop, that is, a stop in which one foot lands before the other. And you can have two different ways of getting to that two-foot stop, one allowing use of a pivot, one not.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
And you can have two different ways of getting to that two-foot stop, one allowing use of a pivot, one not.
Now, this I can agree totally agree with. However, I still think that it would be clearer if everybody used the same term to mean the same thing. I vote that "jump stop" only be used for #3 in TH's post!

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 14, 2002, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
After re-reading TH's post, I think I see where the confusion lies. It was my understanding that the term "jump stop" referred ONLY to the maneuver described in #3 above. But from reading the last sentence quoted above, it seems that others are using the term "jump stop" to refer to any time a player in possession of the ball comes to a stop after jumping; which, I have to admit, makes some sense.

Am I right about this difference in usage? Or am I still totally missing what everybody else is seeing?

Chuck
Right! 4-43-2a describes one type of jump stop and 4-43-2b describes the other type of jump stop.

BTW, I thought there was only one type of jump stop until someone on this baord straighten me out a year or so ago.

The 0 for 2 comment was based on this play and the mascot that you were going to eject for beating up the scorpion at halftime. Just yanking your chain!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
The 0 for 2 comment was based on this play and the mascot that you were going to eject for beating up the scorpion at halftime. Just yanking your chain!
Believe me, the mascot's done for the night. I may relent on the T, however.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 15, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Smile ok--lets go further

am trying to teach (as in Hawks Coach senenrio) the sequence of "jump-pickup ball-land w/2 feet": thus either foot is avail for pivot---does the player then get the normal step & 1/2 to the rim/shot.....of the pivot as long as he shoots/passes....?