Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Conflict of Interest...

Looking for some guidance.

My daughter has been playing summer high school bball in the same league I've been officiating. I have officiated a couple of her games only after checking with both coaches and getting their okay. I felt like its summer so there shouldn't be too much of a conflict of interest. Of course that's absurd to say since it is a conflict of interest regardless if both head coaches know about it or not...still I went ahead and officiated the games (Funny story about that in a second).

I am officiating a NCAA sanctioned tournament soon and there might be an outside chance that I could end up being assigned to one of my Daughter's games. Though it's not an official high school season game and my assigner already said it's okay I don't feel it's a smart or the right thing to do. I've informed the assigner that he's got to allow me to switch gyms or just scratch me all together...he hasn't responded yet.

How do you guys and gals see it...am I making too big a deal out of it? Have any of you officiated your child's off-season games or games like this?

Back to my daughter's summer league game I officiated. She had committed her 4th foul and I called it (already calling 1 on her). She turned around and said, "Come on Dad! Give me a break!"...I about swallowed my whistle. The head coaches must not have told their players about our little agreement. Every player's jaw dropped...a player on the other team asked her "Did you just call that official Dad?". They all broke-up laughing. If I wasn't laughing myself I would have given her the big T. Unprofessional yes...but priceless.