The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/36861-nba-officials.html)

Jurassic Referee Wed Jul 25, 2007 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrpalmer3
That's because 25 years ago they didn't have 30 cameras to zoom in on an official's mistake, and they didn't play in on Sportscenter 35 times each hour.

NBA officials make 7-10 mistakes a game. They don't alert the fans to these mistakes, but teams are told that a mistake was made. If you watch a game and observe a no-call that you think should have been called, don't assume that's the way the NBA wants it called. It's possible that the ref didn't see it, or saw it and had a brain fart. These guys are the best, but they are not perfect.

You completely missed my point. I said that I don't know what a foul is in the NBA because there doesn't seem to be any consistency. I've seen players knocked into the third row without a call, and I've seen similar plays with a call--including a flagrant foul called. I've seen contact outside on the dribbler called a foul, and I've seen the exact same contact outside on a dribbler let go.

That's what I meant when I said that I don't know what a foul in the NBA is anymore. For the record, I also can't tell you how they call traveling either. One time it is, and then the exact same play a few minutes later isn't. And....that's <b>one</b> of the reasons why I personally find the current version of the NBA unwatchable.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jul 25, 2007 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odd Duck
1) Give me a break Jurassic...what do the owners in the NFL know about rules? Yet they have a competition committee that handles, amoung other things, rules.
First, like it or not, the OWNERS are, or should be, the ones that dictate how things are handled in a professional league. If by no other way, than by employing a commissioner. Sterns may be powerful, but you can bet your last dollar that if he started doing things the owners didn't like they would get things changed.

2) My bet is next year you will see a marked difference in how things are called. They are not going to want to be viewed as "on the take".

1) How many <b>owners</b> are actually on the 8 men composing the NFL voting competition committee? I looked it up. There's ONE owner on the committee. The other members are 2 coaches, 2 GM's and 3 team presidents. The GM's and team presidents have football experience in either playing, coaching or administrating. Having 8 owners on the committee would be an outright disaster. Most of 'em know dick-all about football, let alone football officiating.

2) Interesting thought, Care to explain exactly what you mean by it? <b>How</b> are things going to be changed? <b>What</b> things are going to be changed? Just <b>what</b> is going to be different in the way that the game is going to be called next year?

Mark Dexter Wed Jul 25, 2007 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Probably an army of statistics nerds locked in a storage closet somewhere doing round-the-clock analyses on mountains of data about call selection, long term trends, what the odds were, what the outcome was, etc. In theory it should be possible to determine some kind of baseline profile for each official then spot deviations from it. Who knows, they may even be able to create the statistical equivalent of QuesTec.

Is it too late for me to change career plans? I'll go get my slide rule and abacus!

Adam Wed Jul 25, 2007 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
o do so would indeed require something new. Probably an army of statistics nerds locked in a storage closet somewhere doing round-the-clock analyses on mountains of data about call selection, long term trends, what the odds were, what the outcome was, etc. In theory it should be possible to determine some kind of baseline profile for each official then spot deviations from it. Who knows, they may even be able to create the statistical equivalent of QuesTec.

they need to get professor Charlie Epps.