The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

A1 and B1 are running for a loose ball near the sideline. A1 being the faster player touches the ball and then dribbles but his momentum carries him out of bounds because he is off balance. The ball is still inbounds near the sideline. A1 then returns inbounds to secure the ball and continues his dribble. The official ruled that A1 is not allowed to secure the ball once he goes out of bounds and then comes back inbounds. Is the official correct?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

If A1 was dribbling and stepped on the sideline, he is OOB, even if he is momentarily not touching the ball.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Yes..but A1 did not touch the sideline. He was still on the court when he touched the ball. Then he lost his balance and went out of bounds. Then he came back.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by PP
The official ruled that A1 is not allowed to secure the ball once he goes out of bounds and then comes back inbounds. Is the official correct?
Of couse the official is correct. Officials are always correct.

Seriously, though, the official is not correct. If a player is dribbling and steps on the line, then we have out of bounds, ball to B. If the player steps out of bounds during an interrupted dribble, then he/she can come back in bounds and continue the dribble.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

The key to this play is you said he dribbled. So, he can not go OOB and come back in and be the 1st. to touch the ball. Dribbleing means player control. IF he just touched the ball to keep it inbounds and his momentum takes him OOB then he can come back in bounds and be the 1st to touch.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Classics never really die, do they? Review casebook plays 7.1.1 B and C.

Those are great cases to remember for during a game. Nothing will quiet a coach when you can say "Hey coach, that's a legal play. Check 7.1.1 in your case book."

Sorta makes him think "How the #*@% did he know that off the top of his head....?" and gives you a bit of credibility in the process
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Don't forget that A1 was running pretty fast and then he touched the ball and had a dribble in there somehow. But the dribble was a short one because he was losing his balance. It all happened very quickly.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
The key to this play is you said he dribbled. So, he can not go OOB and come back in and be the 1st. to touch the ball. Dribbleing means player control. IF he just touched the ball to keep it inbounds and his momentum takes him OOB then he can come back in bounds and be the 1st to touch.
I'm a newbie, but are you sure? What if it is an interrupted dribble? A1 is dribbling down the floor, stumbles and loses control. While stumbling he steps OOB. You're saying he cannot re-establish himself in bounds and be the first to touch the ball? I've got nothing, play on.

Like I said, I'm new...I could be wrong (Won't be the first time and probably not the last )
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

lotto, are you sure. I don't think you dribble, be the last to touch the ball, go OOB, and be the 1st. to touch.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
lotto, are you sure. I don't think you dribble, be the last to touch the ball, go OOB, and be the 1st. to touch.
Can you back that up with a rule to clarify? I can't seem to find anything consistent with this ruling
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I don't have the book with me. Player tip toeing the sideline while dribbleing. Looses balance, steps OOB(interupted dribble) steps inbounds, continues to dribble. Are you going to call OOB?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

No.

Based on the case book plays I sighted above, I don't think OOB is the correct call, as long as the player re-establishes "inbounds" status.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

One of two things happened. Either the dribble was interrupted, in which case the player by rule can come back inbounds and be the first to touch. Or the dribble was not interrupted, which means that even though the player may not have been touching the ball at the time, the minute he stepped out it was a violation.

Touching after returning to the court is not a violation in either case.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

IMO interupted dribble has more to do with losing control of the ball and not losing your balance and stepping OOB.
But I can see where they do not have to be mutually exclusive.
Pertaining to the original post:
NFHS Rules 9-3 Note:
The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.

[Edited by MOFFICIAL on Jan 11th, 2002 at 10:16 AM]
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL
NFHS Rules 9-3 Note:
The dribbler has committed a violation if he/she steps on or outside a boundary even though he/she is not touching the ball while he/she is out of bounds.
There is a time during a dribble that the ball is not actually touching a player. This, of course, being during the time it takes from the ball to leave the players hand and fall to the floor, plus the time taken for the ball to rebound off the floor back to the players hand.

I believe what this note is trying to get across is that if a player--while dribbling--steps on the line or OOB during the time I mentioned above, they are OOB. I don't believe that note is intended to address the time that a player does not either have control or not dribbling.