The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ruling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/36731-ruling.html)

fullor30 Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:11am

Ruling

B1 pulls down a rebound under basket, A1 running from free throw line knocks ball out of B1's hands, ball rolls along endline. A1's momentum carries him out of bounds after he knocked ball away from B1. A1 then re-enters court and grabs free ball. Legal? Happened last night and not sure.

Thanks

SmokeEater Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:20am

Legal. Momentum carried the player OOB so they are allowed to reenter and play on.

Splute Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:24am

Legal....
Once A1 reestablishes himself inbounds, he may contact the ball and continue play. No penalty for momentum carrying player OB. Someone will post the rule shortly.... :)

Jurassic Referee Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:25am

NFHS case book plays 7.1.1SitB&C.

Splute Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:26am

Thanks JR....

JoeTheRef Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
B1 pulls down a rebound under basket, A1 running from free throw line knocks ball out of B1's hands, ball rolls along endline. A1's momentum carries him out of bounds after he knocked ball away from B1. A1 then re-enters court and grabs free ball. Legal? Happened last night and not sure.

Thanks

Legal. I'm curious, did you or your partner blow the whistle? And how many fans, coaches or players screamed "HE'S OUT OF BOUNDS, HE CAN'T BE THE FIRST TO TOUCH THE BALL"..:rolleyes:

fullor30 Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
NFHS case book plays 7.1.1SitB&C.

Thanks for the specific case play. I thought I was right. Another situation If I can ask, A1 inbounds, it flicks off off A2's fingers, A1 jumps inbounds and gains possession. I know A1 can't inbounds obviously and be the first to gain possesion but is first scenario legal??

Thanks

fullor30 Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Legal. I'm curious, did you or your partner blow the whistle? And how many fans, coaches or players screamed "HE'S OUT OF BOUNDS, HE CAN'T BE THE FIRST TO TOUCH THE BALL"..:rolleyes:

Nobody said a word. I just had a brain fart and wasn't sure. Great night of B-ball mostly current college players and former players. Very clean, well played games with very little chirping. A pleasure.

Splute Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:52am

Basically the same situation. Legal throwin, and now a loose ball. A1 only needs to have "inbounds" status to pickup the ball.

Dan_ref Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:52am

Quote:

Thanks for the specific case play. I thought I was right. Another situation If I can ask, A1 inbounds, it flicks off off A2's fingers, A1 jumps inbounds and gains possession. I know A1 can't inbounds obviously and be the first to gain possesion but is first scenario legal??

Thanks

As long as A1 has 1 foot inbounds when he touches the ball he's OK. Throw in ends when A2 (or any player) legally touches the ball.

fullor30 Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00am

Thanks.

This site should be required reading for all officials.

Ch1town Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:36am

Quote:

Thanks.

This site should be required reading for all officials.

I concur, reading the rulebook frequently along with hitting this site keeps one on their toes. Officiating.com is where it's at!

BktBallRef Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
As long as A1 has 1 foot inbounds when he touches the ball he's OK. Throw in ends when A2 (or any player) legally touches the ball.

As long as A1 has 1 foot inbounds AND IS NOT TOUCHING OOB when he touches the ball he's OK. :p

Adam Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:57am

Quote:

Just a quick correction. A1 can throw the ball in be the first to gain possession. However, he may not be the first to touch. You seem aware of this, but the difference is key.

Dan_ref Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
As long as A1 has 1 foot inbounds AND IS NOT TOUCHING OOB when he touches the ball he's OK. :p

Yeah yeah yeah shouldn't you be out looking for baseball shoes so your lazy @ss doesn't get run over?

:p