The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
I was reffing girls modified (= pre-JV) last night. After a held ball, I heard one of the girls mutter to the other something like "That's weak." I went right up to her and told her to cut that kind of talk out. However, I thought afterwards that I should have T'd her up. See, here in NY, we have a sportsmanship pledge against taunting, baiting, and trash talking and we warn the girls in the captains meeting that any incident will be an automatic T, no warning.

So, what do you think?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I don't believe i would give a T. I think you took care of business by saying something to her. good job.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I think you handle it correctly, especially since you said "one of the girls". Does that mean you were not sure which one made the comment?

Now, if she had said "Weak b!tch" ...BA-BOOM

Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Good preventive officiating...no T
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

In PA we have the same prerequisite pre-game sportsmanship agreement. In that specific case however, I woudn't even acknowledge it. Fair comment. We 'judge' play, they should have some leeway in responding, at least to each other w/o corrective action. I think let the small stuff go otherwise the door is open for action/response to all comments.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
I "That's weak." - See, here in NY, we have a sportsmanship pledge against taunting, baiting, and trash talking and we warn the girls in the captains meeting that any incident will be an automatic T, no warning.

So, what do you think?
I think that this is a little too PC for me. Profanity or direct comments questioning the validity / honesty of the call are a different matter but to T someone for saying a call is weak is going overboard. Next thing you know someone will be Td for looking cross-eyed at a ref after a call.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Next thing you know someone will be Td for looking cross-eyed at a ref after a call.
Or even staring straight-eyed!!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Teammates commenting quietly, without profanity, on the quality of a call to one another doesn't rate a response from a ref. I think it makes you look overly sensitive. Certainly no T. They are entitled to their opinion. If they object directly to you in terms that are such that you need to T 'em up, do so. If they show you up by yelling "that was weak" so the whole crowd knows they think the call stunk, T 'em up. But they are entitled to discuss the quality of calls amongst themselves without fear of penalty. What rule have they violated?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Next thing you know someone will be Td for looking cross-eyed at a ref after a call.
Or even staring straight-eyed!!
Some already do!

Last week I had a girl give another a stare down after slight contact in the first quarter. At the break, my partner said "I was waiting for you to give her a T, I would have". I was thinking, HUH.

Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 02:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Did you mean that her comment was about the call, or that it was her "opinion" of the ability of the other player? I couldn't tell from the way the post was worded.

However, either way, no T for something that "weak".
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you Mark i didn't understand the post to say her was comment was about the Ref. either way it was handle correctly.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

no T. good common sense
Old Fri Jan 11, 2002, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Did you mean that her comment was about the call, or that it was her "opinion" of the ability of the other player?
It was directed at the other player, whose team was losing by about 40 points at the time.

If it weren't for the sportsmanship pledge (no trash talking, this is your only warning), I'd have no doubt that I'd done the right thing.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Did you mean that her comment was about the call, or that it was her "opinion" of the ability of the other player?
It was directed at the other player, whose team was losing by about 40 points at the time.

If it weren't for the sportsmanship pledge (no trash talking, this is your only warning), I'd have no doubt that I'd done the right thing.
Sorry, I'm a little slow tonight. Do you mean that A1 and B1 tied the ball up together, then you made the call, then A1 said to B1, "That was weak" about B1's ability? I think I'd have T'd that!

Or was A1 saying to B1 that the call was weak, so B1 wouldn't feel bad about something?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Lotto, this is exactly why you can't throw a T. Just in this post, we have people who don't know who the comment was directed at, or what it meant.

Was she referring to the call, the opponent, or herself, for perhaps not making a better play?

Although you think you know what she meant or who she was talking to, you can't assume. It was soft spoken, it wasn't obvious, and it wasn't directed at you. Leave it alone. Don't look for it. Call it when it's obvious.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith