The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

as a new official, i think this discussion board is great. although this is only my 3 rd time posting a question, i am very thankful for all that replied. my question is concerning travel. are all scenarios considered traveling ?
1) a1 is dribbling & falls w/ the ball but does not maintain his dribble but still has ball & looks to pass
2) a1 while dribbling falls but maintains his dribble & gets up. i was told by an experienced offical that whenever a player falls w/ the ball it's traveling. but during my training i remember hearing that if the person maintains his dribble, it's not a travel.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2000, 06:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by stealthbomber63 on 01-31-2000 05:12 PM
1) a1 is dribbling & falls w/ the ball but does not maintain his dribble but still has ball & looks to pass

If A1 was not dribbling and had player control of the ball when he touched the floor with anything but his hand and/or foot, it's a travel.

2) a1 while dribbling falls but maintains his dribble & gets up. i was told by an experienced offical that whenever a player falls w/ the ball it's traveling. but during my training i remember hearing that if the person maintains his dribble, it's not a travel.

Tell that "experienced official" to get a rule book and read it. It is a fundamental rule of basketball (NF fundamental rule #6, in fact) that you cannot travel while dribbling.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Right on!
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
An "experienced" official told you that? I hope I never get that "experienced"!!! First case is a travel, second is not- just remember that you can never call traveling while a dribble is live!!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn on 02-01-2000 06:05 AM
An "experienced" official told you that? I hope I never get that "experienced"!!! First case is a travel, second is not- just remember that you can never call traveling while a dribble is live!!

As a point of futher clarification, if the player in the first case does not hold the ball until after falling, i.e., does not fall during the act of picking up the dribble, is it still a violation?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

As a point of futher clarification, if the player in the first case does not hold the ball until after falling, i.e., does not fall during the act of picking up the dribble, is it still a violation?

No, but he may not attempt to get up or stand, nor may he roll over. If the player happens to recover the ball while flat on his back, he may sit up without violating.