Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

[/B]
Mark,I would bet Larks' left one that if you sent a play to the Fed detailing a sub on the bench being knocked unconscious,they would tell you not to let that sub play unless a doctor OK'd it.That's the spirit and intent of the rule,i.e.player safety. [/B][/QUOTE]

So now Larks is gonna be running around the court without a left ear?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb ...do NOT have the authority....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I consider my concern for a player's well being second to none. But, in the posted play, the officials do NOT have the authority to over rule a parent's decision (no matter how misbegotten it is).

No? But isn't there responsibility that remains?

I know that my position is not a favorite position, but in this case we legally have no standing in the play.

Are you an attorney, or are you saying within the rule book there is no standing...?
mick
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I am the father of two sons (8 and 11 years of age) who are play basketball and baseball, and swim on our YMCA team. I consider my concern for a player's well being second to none. But, in the posted play, the officials do NOT have the authority to over rule a parent's decision (no matter how misbegotten it is).

I know that my position is not a favorite position, but in this case we legally have no standing in the play.
Mark,I would bet Larks' left one that if you sent a play to the Fed detailing a sub on the bench being knocked unconscious,they would tell you not to let that sub play unless a doctor OK'd it.That's the spirit and intent of the rule,i.e.player safety.
Hey!!

JR...Good point....except, please keep my "left one" out of betting considerations. I do have a nice pair of shoes you can bet on for puking rights though.

Larks
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

If JR were confident, he would have bet his own left ear. Or whatever he was betting.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 04:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
If JR were confident, he would have bet his own left ear. Or whatever he was betting.
Mark,I'm confident,but I'm not dumb.Why take a chance?Ol' Larks started this,so let him take the risk.That way it's no skin off my....:
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
Here is an opinion from someone who is both a referee and a physician (Emergency medicine):
Don't let him/her play without a written note from a physician. By definition anyone having a true seizure, whether diabetic or other, is unconscious. In the post they said that he didn't respond to the coach. That is also a definition of unconsciousness.
Remember! Always err on the side of safety.

I will bow to the good doctor's medical information concerning diabetics and unconsciousness. But in the play posted, the diabetic athlete was not a player at the time of the seizure. NFHS R3-S1-A1 defines that there a team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain. NFHS R4-S34-A1 defines players as the five team members who legally on the court at any given time. NFHS R4-S34-A3 defines when a substitue becomes a player and when a player becomes a substitute.

Therefore, NFHS R2-S8-A5 (unconscious player rule) does not apply here, and I would seriously advise not trying to invoke NFHS R2-S3 (elastic clause rule) to this case.

I share the doctor's concern about letting this child playing in the game but we has officials do not have the authority to deny him entry into the game.
I heartily disagree with your assessment of this situation. I think you are getting hung up on a semantical and legalistic interpretation of the word 'player'. If we don't have the official authority to keep a player in a situation like this from playing, we are ethically bound to do so. In the officials manual there is a code of ethics. The last 2 points in this code state, "Officials shall, while enforcing the rules of play, remain aware of the inherent risk of injury that competition poses to student-athletes. Where appropriate, they shall inform event management of conditions of situations that appear unreasonably hazardous. Officials shall take reasonable steps to educate themselves in the recognition of emergency conditions that might arise during the course of competition."

As officials, we not only enforce the rules of the game but we have ethical obligations as well. You cannot do one to the exclusion of the other.

[Edited by daves on Jan 8th, 2002 at 08:34 PM]
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will bow to the good doctor's medical information concerning diabetics and unconsciousness. But in the play posted, the diabetic athlete was not a player at the time of the seizure. NFHS R3-S1-A1 defines that there a team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain. NFHS R4-S34-A1 defines players as the five team members who legally on the court at any given time. NFHS R4-S34-A3 defines when a substitue becomes a player and when a player becomes a substitute.

Therefore, NFHS R2-S8-A5 (unconscious player rule) does not apply here, and I would seriously advise not trying to invoke NFHS R2-S3 (elastic clause rule) to this case.

I share the doctor's concern about letting this child playing in the game but we has officials do not have the authority to deny him entry into the game.
Mark, there's a time to use the rule book to the letter and there's a time to use common sense. You are being entirely too legalistic in your approach to this problem. While the rule book may say "player" I'm quite sure it is not the intent of the NFHS to allow a substitute who became unconscious while sitting on the bench to come into the the game. I don't believe you have much of a defense when the boys' parent sue you.

But if you want to be legalistic, I'll give you a different interpretation of the rule. You're being too narow minded in your interpretation. The rule doesn't say that he has to become unconscious while in the game. It says that he can't return to the game if he's been unconscious.

3-3-7
A player who has been determined apparently unconscious shall not return to play in the game without written authorization from a physician.

My Interpretation
If he comes into the game, he is now a player. It has been determined that he was previously unconscious. He is not returning to this game without written consent.

I bet that interpretation will work for everyone else.

For once, use some common sense and interpret the rule sensibly, not legalistically, the way it was meant to be interpreted.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 12:05am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
I am the father of two sons (8 and 11 years of age) who are play basketball and baseball, and swim on our YMCA team. I consider my concern for a player's well being second to none. But, in the posted play, the officials do NOT have the authority to over rule a parent's decision (no matter how misbegotten it is).

Mark,I would bet Larks' left one that if you sent a play to the Fed detailing a sub on the bench being knocked unconscious,they would tell you not to let that sub play unless a doctor OK'd it.That's the spirit and intent of the rule,i.e.player safety.

I agreeing with you, but only because the NFHS would probably not read the rules before making a ruling. I know that is a harsh statement to make but that it is what I feel in my old bones. But I still stand my original ruling.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 12:09am
Administrator

Re: ...do NOT have the authority....

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
I consider my concern for a player's well being second to none. But, in the posted play, the officials do NOT have the authority to over rule a parent's decision (no matter how misbegotten it is).

No? But isn't there responsibility that remains?

Are you an attorney, or are you saying within the rule book there is no standing...?
mick

No I am not a lawyer (thank goodness), but by rule we have no say in the matter, and I would venture to say that if a parent were to be agressive enough to hire a lawyer, the official would lose.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 12:20am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
Here is an opinion from someone who is both a referee and a physician (Emergency medicine):
Don't let him/her play without a written note from a physician. By definition anyone having a true seizure, whether diabetic or other, is unconscious. In the post they said that he didn't respond to the coach. That is also a definition of unconsciousness.
Remember! Always err on the side of safety.

I heartily disagree with your assessment of this situation. I think you are getting hung up on a semantical and legalistic interpretation of the word 'player'. If we don't have the official authority to keep a player in a situation like this from playing, we are ethically bound to do so. In the officials manual there is a code of ethics. The last 2 points in this code state, "Officials shall, while enforcing the rules of play, remain aware of the inherent risk of injury that competition poses to student-athletes. Where appropriate, they shall inform event management of conditions of situations that appear unreasonably hazardous. Officials shall take reasonable steps to educate themselves in the recognition of emergency conditions that might arise during the course of competition."

As officials, we not only enforce the rules of the game but we have ethical obligations as well. You cannot do one to the exclusion of the other.

[Edited by daves on Jan 8th, 2002 at 08:34 PM]

I agree with you on what it says in the officials manual, but the conditions that occured in the original posting is outside the officials jurisdiction. I have declared two players unconcious: once in a girls' varsity basketball game and once in a boys' varsity soccer game. Neither coach was happy, especially the soccer player's coach and parents. But we sometimes we just do not have the authority do be king for a day. We have to pick our battles and this is not one of the battles that we as officals should be fighting (I mean taking actions per the original posting).

Now trying to get the rule changed, that is another matter and I would have no trouble supporting a change in the rules to have it apply to substitutes.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you on what it says in the officials manual, but the conditions that occured in the original posting is outside the officials jurisdiction. I have declared two players unconcious: once in a girls' varsity basketball game and once in a boys' varsity soccer game. Neither coach was happy, especially the soccer player's coach and parents. But we sometimes we just do not have the authority do be king for a day. We have to pick our battles and this is not one of the battles that we as officals should be fighting (I mean taking actions per the original posting).

I still totally disagree with what you are saying here. I don't consider protecting a player is being "king for a day". I think it is much more likely for an official to get into trouble for not protecting a player than for making a call that in one person's opinion is beyond an official's jurisdiction.

In prior posts you have stated that you don't think that falls under the elastic clause. I don't have my rule book handy so I can't quote chapter and verse. Are you talking about the rule that says that the referee may make a decision not covered in the rules? If so, why would this not be covered under that clause? If it's because you think that player unconsciousness is already covered in the rules, then let me submit this. Using your own rationale, a person on the bench is not a player, so non player unconsciousness is not covered in the rules. Therefore it would fall under the elastic clause.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 05:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I agreeing with you, but only because the NFHS would probably not read the rules before making a ruling. I know that is a harsh statement to make but that it is what I feel in my old bones. But I still stand my original ruling. [/B]
Mark,let's say you're watching a game where one of your two sons is playing.Your son is sitting on the bench when he is definitely knocked unconscious by the elbow of a player trying to save a ball from going OOB.When he comes to,his coach immediately subs him into the game.The officials allow the substitution.What is your reaction,if any,as a parent?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agreeing with you, but only because the NFHS would probably not read the rules before making a ruling. I know that is a harsh statement to make but that it is what I feel in my old bones. But I still stand my original ruling.
Mark,

What is Hank's opionion on this? By NFHS decree rule interpretations are supposed to be set by the state. Whatever way your state interprets the rule, is how you should enforce it. I am guessing they wise men (and woman) here in Columbus would want us to take a more liberal interpretation of the rule.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 10:13am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Mark,let's say you're watching a game where one of your two sons is playing.Your son is sitting on the bench when he is definitely knocked unconscious by the elbow of a player trying to save a ball from going OOB.When he comes to,his coach immediately subs him into the game.The officials allow the substitution.What is your reaction,if any,as a parent? [/B]

If my son were knocked unconscious as you just described, he would not even be on the bench, therefore the coach would not have the opportunity to consider subbing him into the game. But that is not the point in this case. In the posted play, the unconscious athlete was not a player in the game at the time. The parent made a decision to let his child play after that.

But another question has not been raised in this matter and I hope that refdoc can answer it for us. Two years ago our 11 yr old suffered a minor concussion while shooting hoops with his cousin. He never lost consciousness in the sense that he was in a coma for any time, but about 15 minutes after the incident and while holding an ice pack to his head he asked me how he had hurt his head. He was suffering from short term memory loss and we took him to the hospital immediately for treament. He was not allowed any type of physical sports activity that might incure contact. That meant swim practice was okay but not racing dives and he could do fielding drills only at baseball practice. When a diabetic comes out of his unconscious state after a seizure at the same risk as a player who has just come out of an unconscious state because of being hit in the head? In other words is his brain at more risk of injury from a diabetic seizure as opposed to from being hit in the head?
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

(original posting).

Now trying to get the rule changed, that is another matter and I would have no trouble supporting a change in the rules to have it apply to substitutes.
[/QUOTE]

MTD: What is the process?