Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eroe39
Quote:
speed/quickness/balance/rhythm
ooooooooohhh. i was missng the balance rythm part. my teacher must have been slipping (when he taught me) at the time!
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Handcheck (hopefully not GPS#7!!)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by crew
Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Quote:
speed/quickness/balance/rhythm
ooooooooohhh. i was missng the balance rythm part. my teacher must have been slipping (when he taught me) at the time!
Your training is not yet complete, my young Skywalker. Continue to use the force and referee the defense!! Don't fall prey to the thoughts of the dark side
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Is this the way they are asking you to call these, or is this just your philosophy? It strikes me as somewhat odd to have a shooting foul on something that occurred on the dribble, and well before the shot. Not saying it's wrong, but it's now how I usually see it called and it's not how I personally see the rule. Especially considering that as the player picks up the ball, the handcheck usually stops and the defenders hands go up (or into the arms for another form of shooting foul )
We call this one when it penalizes the defense the most. And BigWhistle is correct. It then becomes a push, not a hand check.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

NF POE says to call it.
NCAA Women's rules say call it.
I call it.
I agree with the east/west - north/south comment but if the dribbler is out front alone with the defender who has hands on him/her you have to call it.
Even though I did not like the requirement to call it as quickly as we are now instructed I must admit that by calling handcheck early and often games are much cleaning and I believe we actually are calling less fouls.
Smart coaches (yes, they do exist!!) are learning and having players play defense by moving their feet, not with their hands.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA basically adopted the FIBA (international) handchecking rule, i.e. a bent arm only on players who have their back to basket below the foul line extended. I agree that we don't want to overcall this, but allowing handchecking, particularly by the guards, can really prevent quicker players from penetrating and put a team at a real disadvantage. Personally, I will try to use preventive officiating and talk to the players (i.e. "watch the hands" - they can hear you) if I can, and I generally won't call anything if the player touches and gets off. Players, though, are pretty smart and will adjust - call it early if you have too and they will get the idea. On the other hand, on post play, if the defensive player uses 2 hands in guarding the offensive player, it needs to be called immediately. For a deeper discussion of the issue, you can probably find an article I wrote on the subject last year in the archive.

Todd Warnick
Jerusalem, Israel
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Why did I hand check when I played. IT GAVE ME AN ADVANTAGE.
Don't tell me you only call it when it is an advantage. If it wasn't advantegous, they wouldn't do it.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by donfowler
Smart coaches (yes, they do exist!!) are learning and having players play defense by moving their feet, not with their hands.
This is true. I actually haerd a coach shouting to the players, "Hands off!! Hands off!!" The kid didn't do it, so I called it. The coach, who was directly behind me, said quietly, "Thanks, maybe they'll learn something"