The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Calling more handchecks came up in another thread, and it got me thinking that the handcheck is the hardest call for me to make.

What a handcheck is usually is fairly simple. I have a problem in determining when to call the foul. If B1 is handchecking A1, and A1 does not seem to be affected (although, according to the book, any handcheck gives an advantage) while backing down toward the basket, do you usually:

(1) Call the foul while A1 is backing in?
(2) Wait for the shot, and call a shooting foul?
(3) See if the shot is affected, and then call a shooting foul?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

In my experience, once the shot starts, the handcheck usually stops as the defender reacts to the ball being picked up off the dribble and raises their hands to defend the shot. So you either have a handcheck on the floor before the shot, or you got nothing. If you wait for the shot to go, you got nothing in my book.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

We've been calling the slightest contact handchecking. we've been calling it early and we've been calling it often. And we've eliminated a lot of it.

If a player is driving toward the basket and a hand goes on the hip, I call the foul when A1 begins his shooting motion.

If A1 has his back to the basket, I call it as soon as I see it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

I will let BktBallRef’s reply go as my reply for 1 and 2.

For number 3 it is my opinion that any ref that waits to see if a shot goes in before calling a foul in being dishonest to the spirit of the rules and to the game.

Advantage/disadvantage is one thing but holding a call to see what happens is not right.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

in regards as when to call to handchecking. it is good to differentiate between east/west-north/spouth. meaning is the offensive player moving from sideline to sidleine or advancing the ball to the basket. if an offensive player is moving from sideline to sideline a forearm or measuring hand most likely does not affect the dribbler. when the offensive player goes to the basket that same forearm can impead the progress of the offense. what has been taught to me by better officials is to think speed/quickness/ability, if a handcheck affects any of these 3 it would be good to call a handcheck.

what bktballref said about calling handchecks tight was adopted by the NBA 2 yrs ago and the nc2a last year. they used the system and quickly dropped it. the reasoning for instituting it was because handchecks were going uncalled. the reason they dropped it was because it was taking judgement away from a play that was not affecting the game. they both went back to using the officials judgment and adopted the unwritten guidelines of speed/quickness/ability.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Handcheck

Nicely stated crew. An additional item to consider, is that same north/south handcheck, does it move the ballhandler off his intended or chosen path? If so, handcheck should be called. Outside of this, I like the rest of your comments and dedication at posting at 4:46AM. I had just gotten back from games out of town and was trying to catch up on these posts.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Sorry nc2a guys but handchecking is a NF POE this year. Our state deputy director is requiring us to call it. The result is that we've eliminated handchecking for the most part. Call it early, be consistent, and by the 2nd qaurter, you've cleaned it up if it was a problem.

Just goes to show once again, that what does or does not work in the NBA or NCAA has nothing to do with high school basketball.

Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If a player is driving toward the basket and a hand goes on the hip, I call the foul when A1 begins his shooting motion.
Tony, I am not clear what you are saying here.
I have a A1 outside top of key, A1 drives toward basket, B1 handcheck happens above FT line, A1 continues to basket for layup with a continuous handcheck the whole drive.

Do you blow whistle when A1 starts to shoot and we have a shooting foul? Or are you saying you call handcheck only if A1 starts to shoot, but foul is "on the floor", and if A1 chooses to pass, we have no call?

Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Do you blow whistle when A1 starts to shoot and we have a shooting foul? Or are you saying you call handcheck only if A1 starts to shoot, but foul is "on the floor", and if A1 chooses to pass, we have no call?
When he picks up the dribble, I will whislte. If he passes, that's fine. But it's very rare that any of these kids pass.

If he shoots, then I have a shooting foul. I'm not going to penalize A1 who has an open drive to the basket because a defender puts a hand on his hip. I wait until he starts his shooting motion, which is simply picking up the dribble and stepping to the basket. Then I get the shooting foul.

Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew

what bktballref said about calling handchecks tight was adopted by the NBA 2 yrs ago and the nc2a last year. they used the system and quickly dropped it. the reasoning for instituting it was because handchecks were going uncalled. the reason they dropped it was because it was taking judgement away from a play that was not affecting the game. they both went back to using the officials judgment and adopted the unwritten guidelines of speed/quickness/ability.
bktballref,
i wasnt trying state negativly about your post, though it seems that way. by all means if calling it tight cleans the game i would do it. i was trying to add to yuor info. some games an official has to become aggressive to control the game.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry nc2a guys but handchecking is a NF POE this year.
It's also a POE (I think) in NCAA Women's ball (if not a POE, it has been for the past couple of years). You do see much less handchecking there than you used to.

I think that's why it's also a POE for NFHS -- Mary seems to be moving the NCAA Women's and FED rules and mechanics closer.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
When he picks up the dribble, I will whislte. If he passes, that's fine. But it's very rare that any of these kids pass.

If he shoots, then I have a shooting foul. I'm not going to penalize A1 who has an open drive to the basket because a defender puts a hand on his hip. I wait until he starts his shooting motion, which is simply picking up the dribble and stepping to the basket. Then I get the shooting foul.
Is this the way they are asking you to call these, or is this just your philosophy? It strikes me as somewhat odd to have a shooting foul on something that occurred on the dribble, and well before the shot. Not saying it's wrong, but it's now how I usually see it called and it's not how I personally see the rule. Especially considering that as the player picks up the ball, the handcheck usually stops and the defenders hands go up (or into the arms for another form of shooting foul )
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Lightbulb description of foul

When you are calling the type of foul that is being talked about in this thread, and you rule that it is to be a shooting foul, it is a good idea to make the foul a push instead of a hand-check.

The hand-check is impeding the dribbler, while a push caused s possible disadvantage on the shot. It is a matter of semantics, but it is a lot easier for coaches and spectators to understand that a hand check is called on the dribbler, while a push is a foul against the shooter.

This is very similar to calling a "charge" against an offensive player who has passed the ball off and then crashed into the defensive player, with a foul being given to the offensive player. If you come out and call "CHARGE", the coaches NEVER understand why we are going to the other end and shooting a 1-and-1. They relate "charge" and "player control" to be the same foul. So if you call this foul a push, they do not have as big of a problem with the call.

Granted, it is their problem, but a little preventative officiating (i.e., using terminology they understand) will make your game much smoother
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

You probably could sell that one to me, or at least you could have until I found out your little tricks
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Calling more handchecks came up in another thread, and it got me thinking that the handcheck is the hardest call for me to make.

What a handcheck is usually is fairly simple. I have a problem in determining when to call the foul. If B1 is handchecking A1, and A1 does not seem to be affected (although, according to the book, any handcheck gives an advantage) while backing down toward the basket, do you usually:

(1) Call the foul while A1 is backing in?
(2) Wait for the shot, and call a shooting foul?

Believe it or not Mark, this is actually a tough call for me to. Of all the plays in basketball you wouldn't think handchecking would be a difficult call but it is very judgemental and subjective and it seems like all refs have different views on when to call it. I have been taught to call a handcheck when it affects the speed/quickness/balance/rhythm of the dribbler with an exception. If a defender places a hand or forearm on a dribbler above free throw line extended and leaves it on there for a count of two to call it even if does not affect sqbr as a message to get them to get it off. I do say "hands" every now and then to the defensive player. If a dribbler is making a strong move to the basket and the forearm or hand is left on but it is on the side or back of the player and has no affect on sqbr I would let the play go as exciting drives to the basket are what we want. We don't want a game interruptor call here. Incidental contact with the hand or forearm where it is not left on or plays where the dribbler is initiating the contact by backing down into the defensvie player should be left alone. Handchecking is good to get early as a temposetter to get the defensive players to stop it. If you let it go early it gets worse and worse and becomes tough to reel in. If the player is facing the basket I tend to call it tighter and if they are making a north/south move I tend to call it tighter. I rarely have handchecking fouls on shots. This would generally be something you would get before the shot is taken. If you do feel it is necessary to call during a shot it should be a pretty good affector of sqbr. Call a push or hold instead of a handcheck here if you are going to award two shots.