The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Had this discussion the other day. NFHS and NCAA rules allow Team A to retain the right to run the endline after a Team B score when Team B commits a violation or foul, immediately after the made basket (no bonus in effect) and the ball is to be inbounded on the same endline. Reasoning for this not to be a spot throw-in is not to penalize offensive team and give defensive Team an advantage when committing a foul or violation. Situation, if Team B deflects the ball out of bounds on Team A's endline, does Team A retain the right to run the endline on the following inbounds play. NFHS rule 7-5-7, then go to rule 9-3, out of bounds is covered as a violation. If you allow Team A to run endline, does this not penalize Team B for good defensive play? Thoughts and comments. Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

No. Even though team B violated, the throw-in ended once it touched a non-inbounder on the court.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I think the rule is actually a little goofy.

If B1 kicks the ball, A1 can still run the end line.

If B1 is touching the OOB line when he deflects the ball, A1 can still run the end line.

If B1 deflects the ball and it then goes OOB, it's a spot throw.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Goofy? Perhaps. But in the first two, the violation is simultaneous with the end of the throw-in.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I understand that.

Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks both BkBallRef and Mark Dexter. The situation I had trouble with is if B1 is touching the OOB line, not over it, when he deflects the ball, A1 can still run the end line. Mark, I like your reasoning of the violation is simultaneous with the end of the throw-in. I much prefer the NCAA Rule of A1 retaining the right to run the endline only on a kick or foul. Would you agree that the NFHS Rule is vague and leaves it open to some judgement. In this situation are we penalizing the defense for good play or am I splitting hairs. Thanks.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Are there any other Rules which you have found to be vague and require much judgement. Please share.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by heyref32
Are there any other Rules which you have found to be vague and require much judgement. Please share.
Ha! Check out the last few threads about contact and what should be a foul!
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
We have discussed this topic several times in our Association meetings and we have all agreed to give the inbounding time the right to run the baseline when team b deflects the ball oob on the endline.

The NFHS rulebook is very plain in identifying a ball deflected oob as a violation. If the ball went oob on the sideline it would be a designated spot throw-in. If the ball goes oob on the endline, team A still gets the baseline. It may not seem fair, but that is the rule.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
We have discussed this topic several times in our Association meetings and we have all agreed to give the inbounding time the right to run the baseline when team b deflects the ball oob on the endline.

The NFHS rulebook is very plain in identifying a ball deflected oob as a violation. If the ball went oob on the sideline it would be a designated spot throw-in. If the ball goes oob on the endline, team A still gets the baseline. It may not seem fair, but that is the rule.
It seems fair, but what you are doing is NOT the rule! Team A is allowed to run the endline when team B either violates or commits a foul (before the bonus) before the throw-in ends. If B2 taps the ball out of bounds, the throw-in ends when B2 touches the ball, and the OOB is a separate act.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I think the rule is actually a little goofy.

If B1 kicks the ball, A1 can still run the end line.

If B1 is touching the OOB line when he deflects the ball, A1 can still run the end line.

If B1 deflects the ball and it then goes OOB, it's a spot throw.
Just wondering...if B1 kicked the ball in Team A's FC after a long pass, wouldn't the ball be taken OOB at the spot closest to the violation, and not a end line throw in?

Also...if B1 was touching the OOB line in A's FC, again after a long pass, wouldn't the ball be taken OOB at the spot B1 was touching OOB, and not a end line throw in?

I think a Coach would much rather have the ball in his front court as opposed to being able to run the end line...of course, I know, it doesn't matter what the Coach would rather have...it's what the rules state that matters.

RookieDude
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Just wondering...if B1 kicked the ball in Team A's FC after a long pass, wouldn't the ball be taken OOB at the spot closest to the violation, and not a end line throw in?

Also...if B1 was touching the OOB line in A's FC, again after a long pass, wouldn't the ball be taken OOB at the spot B1 was touching OOB, and not a end line throw in?

I think a Coach would much rather have the ball in his front court as opposed to being able to run the end line...of course, I know, it doesn't matter what the Coach would rather have...it's what the rules state that matters.

RookieDude
RookieDude, you are correct, the ball would be taken OOB at the spot nearest the violation. Running the end line only applies if the nearest spot of the foul or violation by B is on the end line, i.e., they can still gain their "advantage" by committing their foul or violation at a spot where the ball would be taken OOB on the sideline assuming the official awards the ball OOB on the sideline.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Chayce -

we had a rather lengthy discussion about this rule at our first meeting back in early November, such that our rules interpretor went to the state to ask for an official interpretation. If you officiate in the state of Texas (H.S.) the official interpretation is that the team does not retain the right to run the endline after Team B deflects the pass OOB.

and, may i add, that i really like Mark D's explanation for why that state ruling is correct.

jake
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

You're reading too much into my comments. I'm not referring to situations where the ball is kicked at the division line or touched OOB on the far end of the court. We were talking about situations where the throw-in would be administered on the endline and A would retain the privilege.

Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No, it isn't the rule. Your association is misinterpreting the rule.

The throw-in ends when a player touches the ball inbounds.
Simply deflecting the pass is not a violation.
The throw-in ended on the deflection .
The violation doesn't occur until the ball goes OOB.
Therefore, we have a spot throw-in.

If the ball is kicked or B1 is touching OOB, then the violation occurs, simultaneous with the touch. That's the difference.