The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

After timing tonight's high school game, I was standing around talking with some parents, and D-I officiating came up. I of course responded that that is an ultimate goal of mine, to which one of the fathers (who, to my knowledge, has no officiating experience) said "Dexter doesn't have the political connections." I understand the value of knowing the right people, but doesn't that come after you start officiating? Should I just write this guy off as an idiot who has no clue what he's talking about?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 10:03pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
After timing tonight's high school game, I was standing around talking with some parents, and D-I officiating came up. I of course responded that that is an ultimate goal of mine, to which one of the fathers (who, to my knowledge, has no officiating experience) said "Dexter doesn't have the political connections." I understand the value of knowing the right people, but doesn't that come after you start officiating? Should I just write this guy off as an idiot who has no clue what he's talking about?
He sounds like an old man that has forgotten how to dream.
Forget him and git to it.
mick
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 01:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Cool Never lose site of your dreams

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Mark all connections are, is someone telling you where to go when you do not know. So if someone tells you to go to a specific camp or to call this specific person, that is a connection. And you still have to perform and prove that you belong.

Never let ignit people set your goals for you. If everyone listen to what others thought, they would never have success. Keep your dreams alive until YOU realize that is not what you want anymore.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Mark, you souldn't even have to ask. You know what kind of idiots live in the bleachers.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 05, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Mark, I'll just help the other guys give you a big push
onto the road. Now get out there & do it!
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Unless you know this parent to be a current or former D-1 official, assignor, commissioner IGNORE HIM!!!!!!!!!!
It takes a strong backbone to put a whistle in our mouth and deal with the stuff we have to handle and I feel safe to say this guy doesn't even know what end of the whistle works.
Keep your dreams alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 02:02pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Re: Connections

I too dream to be a D-1 official (at a minimum, would love to go pro). I am 27 years old and have been officiating for about eight years. I have got some really good information, from this forum recently, on who to contact. Stick with it, if your friends don't laugh at your dreams then they aren't set high enough. My fiance keeps asking me when I will be a Pro official, I keep telling her that it takes time and I most likely will have some grey hair before I get to step onto a Pro court for a pro game.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Connections

I will commment just based on my experiences alone. Dream big. If the NCAA or (NBA) is your goal, watch NCAA (or NBA) officials and take some of their mechanics, philosophies, play calling, movements on the floor, and integrate them into your game. Go to camp and get to know these NCAA officials and pick their brain for information on how to get better. However, don't be a self-promotor. Work hard at your own game and if you have potential, some talent, and your a good person you will get noticed.
Second, Get into self-realization. Get game films and break them down. Watch body language, mechanics, floor positioning, play calling, game management, dealing with coaches, etc. Tape is an essential ingredient in helping you reach your goals.
Don't let anyone shoot your dreams down. Go to camp, WHEN YOUR READY, and show your goods. Remember, the cream always rises to the top. Be a sponge at camp and soak up everything you can. "Politics" is evident everywhere we look. Just be yourself and let your officiating do the talking.
My family didn't understand the officiating thing at the outset, but now they see some of the small amount of success I have achieved and are now starting to understand the process. Always remember, the pressure rises the higher you go. One must always strive to get better each time out on the floor and be their OWN HARDEST CRITIC. Good things happen to good people. Stay positive and attempt to stay out of "name dropping" and "gossip."

Good luck. Set your goals high in life, whether its basketball, flipping burgers, or whatever and don't let anyone tell you differently.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

This is interesting. I just spoke with someone today
about having aspirations to move up to possibly college
level. And, I was told that NCAA officials had to be
a certain height. Does anyone know this to be true?

If anyone knows of any qualifications for NCAA
officials, please let me know.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Connections

I don't know of any height requirements in any NCAA conference/league. As you probably know, every supervisor has factors they like and dislike. Personally, I am about 6'2". Ask eroe39 or crew how tall they are. They work NCAA basketball as well as I and they are not very tall. So, if anything they have beat the "height odds" you speak of, they have because they are short!!!

Work hard to look like an athlete and fit on the floor, and things will work out for you. Don't worry about things you can't control. You can control hustle, judgment, positioning, attitude, rules knowledge, weight, athletic run, etc.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you.

Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by OK Ref

If anyone knows of any qualifications for NCAA
officials, please let me know.
No height requirement. Who was this person you spoke to?
An assignor? A ref? A wannabe who never was?

Look "athletic". Know your rules & mechanics. Know how to
deal with people. Know the right people. That's pretty much the package.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OK Ref
I don't think so. Sally Bell did a game at my school, and I was taller than her (BTW, I'm not very tall - 5'9" on a day with low atmospheric pressure).
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
they are short!!!
thanks a ton barnacle.

o.k. ref,
do assignors prefer taller officials? probably! but when they see an official that has many other qualifications they will certainly over look the things you cannot control. bbarnaky is correct about controlling the things you can control. you can lose weight if you are heavy-and workout if you are skinny. athletic people are muscular and lean without looking like a meat head. though many officials that you see on t.v. look like fat slobs they got into the league in their prime and have degressed physically. they have certainly earned there right to be at the level they are working. just keep working hard, go to camp in great shape, and dont worry about what people say about your dream.........you have the right, by law, to freedom and the pursuit of happiness. enjoy the journey.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Connections

Crew.....You know I'm just kidding, of course. Good comments for the post, however.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BBarnaky
Crew.....You know I'm just kidding, of course. Good comments for the post, however.
i know your kidding!