Thread: "Connections"
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Connections

I will commment just based on my experiences alone. Dream big. If the NCAA or (NBA) is your goal, watch NCAA (or NBA) officials and take some of their mechanics, philosophies, play calling, movements on the floor, and integrate them into your game. Go to camp and get to know these NCAA officials and pick their brain for information on how to get better. However, don't be a self-promotor. Work hard at your own game and if you have potential, some talent, and your a good person you will get noticed.
Second, Get into self-realization. Get game films and break them down. Watch body language, mechanics, floor positioning, play calling, game management, dealing with coaches, etc. Tape is an essential ingredient in helping you reach your goals.
Don't let anyone shoot your dreams down. Go to camp, WHEN YOUR READY, and show your goods. Remember, the cream always rises to the top. Be a sponge at camp and soak up everything you can. "Politics" is evident everywhere we look. Just be yourself and let your officiating do the talking.
My family didn't understand the officiating thing at the outset, but now they see some of the small amount of success I have achieved and are now starting to understand the process. Always remember, the pressure rises the higher you go. One must always strive to get better each time out on the floor and be their OWN HARDEST CRITIC. Good things happen to good people. Stay positive and attempt to stay out of "name dropping" and "gossip."

Good luck. Set your goals high in life, whether its basketball, flipping burgers, or whatever and don't let anyone tell you differently.