The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm watching some film of a game I did earlier, and have a question. Should one bird-dog when giving a technical foul? How about when giving the T to a coach? It doesn't seem very helpful to not bird-dog, but when I think about doing it it feels awkward.

What do y'all do?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm watching some film of a game I did earlier, and have a question. Should one bird-dog when giving a technical foul? How about when giving the T to a coach? It doesn't seem very helpful to not bird-dog, but when I think about doing it it feels awkward.

What do y'all do?
I don't bird dog it, Juulie. Just whistle, T signal, and then report it to the table. I'm not even sure how I would give the signal and bird dog. I need 2 hands to make the T, so how would I do the bird dog? It would feel really bizarre to bird dog without having my right arm up in the air. But I don't think we're supposed to put up a closed fist when blowing a T, are we?

Short answer, no bird dog for me.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

At least in my games (where I'm trying to have fewer technical fouls), it's pretty obvious as to who is getting hit with the T.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

off the subject a little, but in my highschool association in florida we have eliminated the "bird dog" all together. the reason, has trickled down from the college ranks, is that it looks like we are getting personal when we use that mechanic. i personally do not like the mechanic, but it doesn't bother me to see it used. i would especially not use it on a tech situation because most everyone knows whom the tech is assesed before it is reported. the only time i would point to a player is if there are multiple players in a group, and i think that identifying the player who fouled is neccessary.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 01:54am
certified Hot Mom tester

Juulie - after calling the T, I always point at the player or coach but not in "bird dog" style, just pointing a finger.

As you well know, my fingers get really tired after most games from doing this. :-)

BTW - have 3 on Sat and 5 on Sun at The Hoop. I hope I remember to take my walker.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Arrow maybe a closed fist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
But I don't think we're supposed to put up a closed fist when blowing a T, are we?

Chuck,

It depends on when you call the T. If it is a dead ball situation, a closed fist is not necessary. However, if it is during a live ball, clock running situation, you need to have the closed fist. Then drop the fist and give the T. There are 3 signals to stop the clock. They are closed fist (for foul, which a T is), open palm for violation, and the held ball signal for when a held ball occurs.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Definitely no bird dog in this situation, I simply blow the whistle give the signal & report it to the table in the same voice I would report a timeout. Technical foul, red coach, turn to the other coach and ask for the shooter's #, then go to administer the shots. The birddog is definitely a fading mechanic in Fed ball. The only time we use it around here is if there is a cluster of players and it may help to sell a call.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I'll agree, definitely NO bird dog after a T. And the
bird dog is going away in HS ball, thankfully.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

btw, Julie. Good job on the film thing, that will definitely help you improve. I have film from just last year that I can't even watch because I had so many annoying little bad habits that I have fixed because of the film.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

More Questions on this mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

What do y'all do?
closed fist when blowing a T, are we?

Short answer, no bird dog for me.

Chuck
Ok...Dead ball Technical mechanic?. Example from today's game: In this league (5th grade), We typically dont check uniform numbers against the book. Heck, there is barely 3-4 min between games sometimes.

In the 2nd qtr, I called a common foul (Push) on #32 blue. White is headed to the line for 1 and 1 and while we're making the walk down floor, white's coach is calling "time out time out" saying there isnt a 32 in the book. So, I go back to the table and discover that Blue's coach had listed him in both team's books as #22. Blue's coach chimes in and says, "oh, he usually wears number 22...him mom must have switched it".

I say to Blue's coach without much fanfare "unfortunately coach that is a technical foul showing the T signal. I let the score keepers know that counts against the team fouls and the coach know he had an indirect technical. I did not charge White with a time out. We shot the 1-and 1 and then the T.

Couple questions:

Should I have whistled or anything else special while signaling the T or was the way I handled this ok?

At this stage in the game, is this still counted as an indirect T?

NF Rules.

Larks - Veteran in Training

Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Larks, you might want to check out the "Number change in book" post.

The technical foul is charged in this situation (ball did not become live after change), but it is a TEAM technical. #23/33 does not get charged with a T, and the coach does not recieve an indirect. You only add this technical on to the totals for team fouls.

As to the whistle, as long as everyone is aware of the situation, just give the T signal.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2002, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think I have ever seen anyone bird dog or even raise the fist on a Technical. I know I have called my fair share, and have never done it. But, according to the NFHS Offical Basketball signals, there is supposed to be a closed fist and a bird dog. If you look at the manual for the signals it gives the signal foul (clenched fist and bird dog) follwed by the Technical signal.

I had a supervisor explain it this way one time, a technical foul is just another type of foul that is reported. It just means that someone has done something the necessitates penalizing, and the method of penalizing is to call a technical foul. Therefore the mechanic for it is similar to all the others.

I agree with everyon else though, it just looks plain goofy to raise the fist and bird dog before Whacking someone. Besides, it just isn't quite as much fun if you don't get to come out with a good sharp blast and a good WHACK!
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
Besides, it just isn't quite as much fun if you don't get to come out with a good sharp blast and a good WHACK!
Well said!
Old Mon Jan 07, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Larks, you might want to check out the "Number change in book" post.

The technical foul is charged in this situation (ball did not become live after change), but it is a TEAM technical. #23/33 does not get charged with a T, and the coach does not recieve an indirect. You only add this technical on to the totals for team fouls.

As to the whistle, as long as everyone is aware of the situation, just give the T signal.
You're right. Just looked up the Technical foul Summary on Pg 73 of the NF rules. I would not interpret this as a player changing numbers but more of an anministrative problem which is a T with no indirects.

Thanks for the feedback.

Larks