The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Question

Here in New York City we are still using to officials on High School Basketball games.I know in some of the other states they already use three officials on there high school games.Boys varsity games here pay $82.29 per official, and after hearing what officials in other states make I would say we are receiving good pay.During the playoffs they will assign three officials to the games,and that's usually the only time you may see three officials working a game.When this happens sometimes the officials may seem to be a bit rusty due to the fact that he/she may not have had the opportunity to work the 3 person crew often.I am won of those officials who prefer working a 3 person crew and I have no problem taking a cut in pay to add that 3rd person to the crew.Some officials when I tell them this look at me like I am crazy, I want to know how many officials would not mind taking a pay cut to have a 3rd official on there games?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
We have been willing to take a slight cut in order to get 3 person in the Houston area. And after watching the Rice High School team that was here from Harlem last week for the National tournament in town, I pity you if you have to work a lot of that type game 2 person.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
...I want to know how many officials would not mind taking a pay cut to have a 3rd official on there games?
I do it every chance I get, from Jr.High to Varsity.
mick
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Of course.

Three is always better than two. We are talking about officiating right?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 02:31pm
In Memoriam

Re: Of course.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Three is always better than two. We are talking about officiating right?
I've been to Rush Street.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

In this area we work a girls game and then a boys game. The pay check is $90.00 or $95.00. I would rather work 2 games with 3 person crew than work 1 game with 2 person crew for the same $.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 03:01pm
Esteemed Participant

I would gladly take a pay cut in order to move all HS games here to 3 person...what some officials don't understand is that yes - we make less $ per game, BUT we will get more games during the season so it will all work out OK financially, plus our legs will be in much better shape by the end of the season!!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I would take a pay cut to do 3 man officiating. Our varsity officials make less than half of what you make in NY. Our association in rural Oregon is short handed this year and we will be forced to use 3 man to cover all our games. I have some games soon that we'll do 3 man. It's been a few years since I have done it so I'll have to brush up on my mechanics. The first time I did it I hated it. We were kind of thrown into it on the spur of the minute and didn't have a chance to review the mechanics. I couldn't wait til halftime because I felt lost. After talking with my partners at halftime things went a little smoother in the second half. We had to get permission to do 3 man from our state association on an emergency basis. I hear tell that they are going to disallow it next season because they only do 2 man at the state tournaments. I think they would be doing the smaller rural associations a disservice if they did that.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand. We have been doing 3person you 5,6 or 7 years. Other states are still doing 2person. Are the reasons for not going to 3 person legitimate?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 03:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I don't understand. We have been doing 3person you 5,6 or 7 years. Other states are still doing 2person. Are the reasons for not going to 3 person legitimate?
Bart,
Who knows what legitimate is?

As of a couple years ago, Kentucky wasn't using 3-man at all. Are they doing it yet?

mick
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't understand the rationale myself Bart. The reason that we have been given about no 3 man is that you can't give the schools a higher number of officials than they would get at the state tournaments. Only our 4A state tourny uses 3 man and all the other levels use 2. I officiate in a rural assoiciation and all of our schools but 1 are of the lower classifications. Another reason for no 3 man is probably financial.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

The IHSAA (Indiana) has said that within 2 or 3 years, we will have 3 officials for all games (4 classes) at regional level and above. There are a few conferences that are going to 3 man already. It seems to me that, other than financial considerations, most of the opponents of 3-man officiating crews are coaches who already don't like 2-man crews.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know that, for my high school at least, the coach didn't want 3 officials because that would lead to more off-ball fouls, and he had an incredibly short bench.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

i would take a pay cut any day to officiate 3 man. i guess i have been lucky as to only have to work 2 man only a handful of times.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Oklahoma does permit 3 man crews for class
5 and 6A teams. Thats it. The lower classes
do two man officiating.