The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 03:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Yes. I have. But it wasn't due to me...the players played such a game that we could have remained in the locker room and the game would have played out the same. We more or less just watched the game. Foul counts of like 2 and 3 in the first half...the same in the second half. It was a cakewalk.
Got you beat in terms of fouls. Had a game last year we had exactly 2 fouls on the board for the 1st half, AAU playoff game, 1 on each team. 2nd half with one minute left to play, we had the exact same thing. Then the team that was down had to foul to put the other team on the F/T line. My partner and I had a internal bet going on to see who was going to call the most fouls in the game. You're right about it being easy. Coaches never said a word, players played their heart out and we just let them play. Got treated to an excellent game of basketball.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Got you beat in terms of fouls. Had a game last year we had exactly 2 fouls on the board for the 1st half, AAU playoff game, 1 on each team. 2nd half with one minute left to play, we had the exact same thing. Then the team that was down had to foul to put the other team on the F/T line. My partner and I had a internal bet going on to see who was going to call the most fouls in the game. You're right about it being easy. Coaches never said a word, players played their heart out and we just let them play. Got treated to an excellent game of basketball.
every scenario that comes up here no matter how far fetched -- even looney toones Padgett and his dateline time scenario -- has been experienced by OS or he has experienced 1 better. He has the experience of 100 Diebler's in officiating.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem offering or receiving advice at a camp.

It is VERY possible that some clinicians and assigners will be looking for, and expecting, that the "vet" in the crew to be leading the crew, and helping out his/her partners.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

In no way do I consider myself a highly experienced official, but I have received commendations on my camp evaluation cards for showing consideration, awareness, and ability to work with lesser experienced/skilled officials.

I agree that some evaluators/clinicians are looking for officials who can work games with "less than thoroughbred" officials.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and if it works for you, that's great. But I've seen it really explode when somebody resents what they perceive as being "talked down to" by another camper. So for me, when I'm at camp, I don't offer advice unless I'm specifically asked.

Thats the greatest thing I have ever heard! I wish more guys would take that approach. If someone wants to know, they will ask.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandCheck7
Thats the greatest thing I have ever heard! I wish more guys would take that approach. If someone wants to know, they will ask.
That is a horrible attitude. Why are they at camp if they don't want to know. Evaluators don't have a monopoly on spotting something goofy.

We should be going in exactly the opposite direction....helping each other improve...unless you goal is to make sure others don't get better and take your spot.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Jun 22, 2007 at 05:48am.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 07:32am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
unless you goal is to make sure others don't get better and take your spot.
My goals at camp are: (1) learn something new and (2) have my games go as well as possible.

Teaching is nowhere on my list of camp priorities. If I want to teach at camp, I'll charge money instead of paying money. Additionally, if I try to help a fellow camper and he/she resents it, my goal #2 has less chance of being realized.

If I'm asked, I will (and have) certainly give any information that I think is important. But I have seen campers get very angry about receiving help from other campers. Since then, I purposely don't offer advice.

As I said earlier, that's just my own opinion. And if you have a history of giving pointers to other campers and it works for you, then I'm glad for you, honestly. But I think eventually, it will backfire.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

The Scrapper1 Basketball Officials' Camp??

Is there a discount for officials under 5'5"?
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
The Scrapper1 Basketball Officials' Camp??

Is there a discount for officials under 5'5"?
Hey, Dex, we've never really known how tall you are. Is a ScrappyCamp something you'd be interested in??
Old Fri Jun 22, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Hey, Dex, we've never really known how tall you are. Is a ScrappyCamp something you'd be interested in??
I'm not eligible for the discount.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
My goals at camp are: (1) learn something new and (2) have my games go as well as possible.

Teaching is nowhere on my list of camp priorities. If I want to teach at camp, I'll charge money instead of paying money. Additionally, if I try to help a fellow camper and he/she resents it, my goal #2 has less chance of being realized.

If I'm asked, I will (and have) certainly give any information that I think is important. But I have seen campers get very angry about receiving help from other campers. Since then, I purposely don't offer advice.

As I said earlier, that's just my own opinion. And if you have a history of giving pointers to other campers and it works for you, then I'm glad for you, honestly. But I think eventually, it will backfire.
My most recent example where I offered was directly towards your goal #2. The guy was in a mess after a critique by the evaluator. We had another game coming up in 45 minutes. If he was not ready for that, it would have potentially been a big mess. My advice intended to get us ready for the next game.