The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

I've been a "howler monkey" for 12 years. (Actually I fit little of the description but have been a middle school coach for that many seasons.) I have no shame in admitting that I'm far too slow and dim-witted to both coach my team and so-called "work" the officials. Frankly, once you toss that ball up, I seldom say anything to you. I think that I have established among the officials in our chapter as someone who is easy to do a game for. I would like to think that this approach has helped me more than hurt me. However, with our season (MS girls) running in the fall, I often go up against guys who coach both the MS and the varsity in the winter. I can think of a couple who like to run the mouth and seem to be successful from time to time in getting a crucial call here and there. I'd hate to think its because the officials just get sick of listening to them. What do you guys think of my approach?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

If all coaches were like you, we'd have more refs and you wouldn't be called "howler monkeys." I'll work your games anytime.

If I'm getting "worked" by a coach, he isn't going to get any more calls from me than you will...except maybe a technical foul. However, (I hate to say it) a new ref might get a little intimidated by the other coach and subconsciously give them the benefit of a doubt on occasion. You can still let the young refs know that you are "involved" in the game too without being a jerk. Asking a question about a call politely when they happen to be standing in front of you might be a good way to let them know you are "watching too".

Z
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Coachgrd: I personally like and agree with your approach. I really don't mind a coach asking me a question, but sometimes I can't stop to talk to them and will usually say something to the effect that -- I'll get back to you at the next stoppage. I will tend to ignore a coach that is constantly chirpping -- wasn't that a foul? Why don't you call that? Didn't you see that foul, etc, etc.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think there are different ways to "work the officials." I can tell you that constantly chipping "common, ya gotta call that!" "He's alloverem," etc., will not get you more calls from experienced officials.

I will give short responses when appropriate (rules not judgment calls), but I tend to tune the chipping out unless the coach gets personal or unsportsmanlike, then I will respond with a "T". Arguing calls with an official is like a bowling ball, it's pointless. How many times have you seen one of the "howlermonkeys" actually get an official to change a call? I hope the answer is NEVER.

A coach who COACHES his/her team gets a lot more respect from me than a coach who wants to ride the officials. For example, after a call against one of their players this coach will explain to the player what they did wrong. "Move your feet!" "Don't reach" "You need to be set on that screen." If they disagree with a call they simply tell their player "That's alright, we'll get the next one."

OK, so then I woke up and realized "Hey!, I don't know any coaches like this!"

Mike
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I enjoy when a coach is "working me". I have the philosophy that it is his job to gain every advantage he can for his team. I treat it as a chess match. The harder he "works me", the better I officiate. I have to stay on top of my game because if I kick a call, then he wins the match.

I use it as a motivator to give the players, not him, the best officiated game possible.

To me, being "worked" is a positive, not a negative.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree w/BigDave. The culture in Hong Kong where I ref is the kind of: call me 'Sir' or you keep quiet or T. I have to work hard to motivate myself to work hard.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

I typically ignore most if not all of what coaches who are constantly chipping are saying. And that is something I will always go over with my partner in pre-game. We call our game and you, the players and coaches, make your adjustments.

The other night in a 5th place game of a boys jv tournament, we tried a different tact and this is what happened: Coaches are "working" for everything so we gave them what wanted. Double bonus for both teams by the end of the first quarter, about 30 total fouls by halftime.

Second half starts, no one is touching anyone. 7 total fouls in the second half. I guess the coaches were not happy that they got what they asked for.

I would not do this in a league game or "meaningful" tourney game and it was not fun but I think we made a small point with these two coaches who were "working" us.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Wink

The Best way to "work' an official is to compliment his/her good calls.
Pistol
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Pistol
Ha! That only works until the calls start going "against" your team.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Pistol
If you believe a coach when he tells you that you made a good call, then you have to believe him when he says you made a bad one.

I don't put any stock into either comment.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Complaining Coaches

With the shortage of officials in Arkansas, I will not work some schools because of the coach and these schools are having trouble getting good officials. I have several things I look for in a school or coach that I work. 1st: Hospitallity (they're glad to see me), 2nd: Good place to dress, 3rd Refreshments, 4th: Fans or good administration of fans, 5th: Security.

Best of 2002 to all of you, may God bless you and your families and America.

Jerry
Old Tue Jan 01, 2002, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I based my comment on "workable" officials. If you are workable then I believe my theory is correct. Good officials can't be worked.
Pistol