The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SportsPlayByPlay
Just trying to touch up on this one, I have forgotten:

Jump ball called - Team A awarded throw-in on the alternating possession. On the throw-in by A-1:

A) A-2 fouls B-1 (while ball is still in A-1's hands). Team B is awarded ball.
B) B-1 fouls A-2 (while ball is still in A-1's hands). Team A is awarded ball.
C) A-1 called for a 5-second violation. Team B is awarded ball.

My question, in all 3 cases, is this:
After the play, the arrow points in what team's direction? Does it stay with Team A, or does the arrow switch to Team B?

Thanks,
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
South Central Indiana Official Association
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Arrow does not switch on any of the plays you described. The throw-in must be completed to turn the arrow.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

The arrow gets flipped when either the throw-in completes or there is a violation. (Case 6.3.5A and succeeding Comment)

So in the first two instances, Team A retains the arrow. In the last play, Team B gets the arrow and the ball because Team A violated.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Agreed. The arrow switches on only the violation.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 12:37am
PDLeBoutillier

Cool

Just to clarify on this, when Team A violates on an AP throw-in, Team B gets the ball AND retains the arrow for the next AP situation. See Case 9.2.8

If, however, Team A commits a FOUL before completing the throw-in, Team B gets the ball (assuming there is no bonus situation) and afterwards Team A has the arrow switched back to their side.

[This message has been edited by PDLeBoutillier (edited January 28, 2000).]
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Just a bit more clarification. The arrow does not change on an AP throw-in until the ball is touched again on the court. So . . . with the violation by team A, team B gets the ball and the arrow is THEN switched in their direction (not "retained," because it was never switched to begin with). On the foul, again the arrow has not been switched yet, so it merely remains in the direction it is still pointing, which is in team A's direction.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

A final clarification: When A violates the arrow is changed when the ball is handed to B for the throw-in, not after the throw-in is completed. This ensures that if B then violates, the arrow now is pointing in the direction of A's play.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Um, good point about when the AP arrow actually switches direction--I forgot about that little tidbit. But, I think you were a little off. According to Rule 6-3-4, the arrow is changed "immediately" after the AP throw-in ends, which occurs either when the throw-in itself ends or when the throw-in team violates. That suggests that, in the situation we've been talking about, as soon as team A violates the arrow is changed to team B's direction, THEN team B is handed the ball. The arrow remains pointing in B's direction until THAT throw-in ends or team B violates. That way, if A fouls B before the ball is inbounded, B still keeps the arrow. That sound right?
Old Sat Jan 29, 2000, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Todd, that's correct. Switch the arrow as soon as the throw in is completed or the throwing team violates. Then deal with the subsequent action (e.g., the throw in because of the violation).
Old Tue Feb 01, 2000, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I read this board constantly and the information contained on it is great. I thought I understood this situation but I have gotten confused here at the end. Please bear with me and tell me if my scenario is correct.

Team A has the ball for an AP throw-in and violates. The arrow gets switched because A had the ball for an AP throw-in. B now gets the ball for a throw-in (due to the violation, NOT due to the AP arrow). If B then violates, of course A gets the throw-in. But doesn't B keep the arrow since B's throw-in was the result of a violation, not the result of having the arrow.