The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I went to a camp this past summer in a neighboring state. I noticed that all the officials from that area were way out of the reporting area that is recommended in the officials manual. If the lead called a foul from the baseline area and opposite the bench, they would come out to the closest possible spot where they could be seen by the scorer's bench. Do any other associations use this expanded reporting area? Is the NF considering making this change nationwide?
Old Tue Dec 25, 2001, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
I went to a camp this past summer in a neighboring state. I noticed that all the officials from that area were way out of the reporting area that is recommended in the officials manual. If the lead called a foul from the baseline area and opposite the bench, they would come out to the closest possible spot where they could be seen by the scorer's bench. Do any other associations use this expanded reporting area? Is the NF considering making this change nationwide?
No, they are not. The nature of HS basketball is that we has HS kids keeping score. To change the reporting area or requirements to those used by the NCAA or NBA would create huge problems. Of course, there are probably those he will disagree.

BTW, was this a high school camp or a college or pro camp?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

daves,
when i call a foul no matter where i am on the court i move until i get a clear lane of vision with my scorekeeper. a clear lane of vision may or may not be prescribed by NF.

p.s. bktballref- i only type nc2a because that is how i pronounce it, i do not pronounce it n c a a. i am not trying to bigtime anyone!
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

This was supposedly a high school camp. The people running the camp were college assignors but the players were HS. Some of the mechanics that were taught there were college mechanics. One evaluator told me not to bird dog when I called a foul. He said to come up with just a fist but not to point at the player who committed the foul. I had the hardest time not doing that as I have been doing it for years. I am the rookie evaluator for our association and I would never tell any of the rooks not to do that. It's part of the NF mechanic. If the NF decides to revise that mechanic, I don't know what I'll do. Probably officiate with one hand in my pocket.... well, maybe not.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
This was supposedly a high school camp. The people running the camp were college assignors but the players were HS. Some of the mechanics that were taught there were college mechanics. One evaluator told me not to bird dog when I called a foul. He said to come up with just a fist but not to point at the player who committed the foul. I had the hardest time not doing that as I have been doing it for years. I am the rookie evaluator for our association and I would never tell any of the rooks not to do that. It's part of the NF mechanic. If the NF decides to revise that mechanic, I don't know what I'll do. Probably officiate with one hand in my pocket.... well, maybe not.
There you have it. Most summer camps involve college supervisors and HS players. But there are two reasons why college supervisors are at the camp. They run the camp and they make a good chunk of $$ or they're looking for new officials. Either way, I have no problem with them. Anyone can certainly benefit from going to such a camp. I've been myself. But don't be mislead. They are not there to teach HS mechanics.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

In our area we do not go to the designated "reporting area" so yes the NF areas that do not use it. Most of our reporting is done someplace near the top of the three point arc on either side as long as we have a good view of the scorer's table. The philosophy behind this is that it reports sooner, less steps, and less time for a coach to talk about the call ( 3-6 steps each call) , and gets ball back in play sooner.

For the longest time we did not do long switches in the two-man game, but made us do them this year... What a waste of ime and effort.

For daves. Not birdogging is easy. It's another signal that needs to be eliminated or reduced to be used only when there is a cluster and you are idetifying the foul for people in the stands. 75% plus everyone knows including the 47th row who the foul is on, If not birdog. otherwise it would be better if we don't.

The mechanics can be simplified as shown by the NCAA women. It might happen eventually. It only took us a dozen years or so to figure out we could bounce the ball to players on an inbound throw-in....