The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Referee the Defense

I am watching some NBA games tonight and thinking about referee the defense. This has been what I have worked on all year long as well as thinking the entire game on the court (not being dead minded). Anyway, I have noticed that sometimes I miss calls when I referee the defense, especially in the paint when players are bundled because if you referee the defense when a player is getting guarded by 3 players, your more than likely gonna miss someone foul the offense. Watching the NBA game, I see the officials watching the offense sometimes, while other times watching the defense. So when exactly do I watch the defense, and when do I watch the offense. In the example above, would I watch the offense and watch for fouls? Any advice would be great.
Travis
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 12:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrvs326
I Anyway, I have noticed that sometimes I miss calls when I referee the defense........................... So when exactly do I watch the defense, and when do I watch the offense.

Very broad question, so I offer very broad advice. Referee the defense?
Good semantics, but I personally was never exactly sure what this means.
If you "notice that sometimes you miss calls," you might simply concentrate on constantly adjusting you position in order to have a better look at these calls, whatever they may be. In particular, is it possible that you are sometimes too close to the action? Closer you may or may not see one thing better. Farther, you can surely have a wider angle and see more things.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrvs326
I am watching some NBA games tonight and thinking about referee the defense. This has been what I have worked on all year long as well as thinking the entire game on the court (not being dead minded). Anyway, I have noticed that sometimes I miss calls when I referee the defense, especially in the paint when players are bundled because if you referee the defense when a player is getting guarded by 3 players, your more than likely gonna miss someone foul the offense. Watching the NBA game, I see the officials watching the offense sometimes, while other times watching the defense. So when exactly do I watch the defense, and when do I watch the offense. In the example above, would I watch the offense and watch for fouls? Any advice would be great.
Travis
You make a good point about multiple defenders and players driving the lane. What might help you is to take a look to see if a player is attempting to draw a charge. If so, then that is going to be your primary focus. If not, then you can look for other defenders slapping the offensive player on the arm or such as well as traveling or other violations by the player with the ball.

"Referee the defense" doesn't mean to ignore the offense. It simply means that you FIRST look to see if the PRIMARY defender has position on potential crashes, if he is in your primary area. You must know this information in order to get the call right. If a secondary defender is attempting to take a charge, then whichever referee has that defender in his primary area must observe his position. Secondly, you look for defenders committing fouls by contacting the offensive player with the hands, arms, or legs. Lastly, you watch for violations by the offensive player. You already know the defender's position so if the offensive player causes contact the call is easy.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

The best advise I can give is not to get tunnel vision on the defender.

Make your goal to always get an open look through the match ups in your primary. By looking through the play, you should be aware of the defender and LGP, the status of the ball and the ball handler's pivot foot, as well as screens and second defenders beyond the on ball match up.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 01:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Refereeing the defense is a concept, not just about where you look. You do not only watch the defense and forget about everyone else. Refereeing the defense is about being aware of what the defense is doing. If you know what the defense is doing, you have a good idea of what the offense might try to do or is able to do. If you see what the defense is doing, you likely can tell who did what. Just as said earlier you cannot get tunnel vision and only watch a small area. If the ball handler starts dribbling in the lane, pick up the defenders and what they are trying to do. This usually makes the call a lot easier. Just like anything this takes time to master and some will never completely master at all. But it is not something you get overnight. You really have to work on this because we are trained to watch the ball instead of the other aspects of the game.

Peace
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 06:58am
Huck Finn

Probably more than a year ago I made a post stating refereeing the matchup is better than refereeing the defense. This is something I got from one of those NBA refs who is also a D-1 assigner.

The overall response was less than warm.

Rut's comments above are good.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
"Referee the Defense" is great advice for the block/charge situation. It's not intended to be an overall reffing philosophy. It means to be sure you're not so intent on ball-handling that you don't know whether or not the defender has LGP, which is the crucial item in the block/charge call.

Better advice for general play is to See the Whole Play, or See Through the Play. If you have a good angle and are keeping a "whole play" mentality, you'll never miss an offensive foul. Well, I guess never is a little strong, but you won't miss many.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
"Referee the Defense" is great advice for the block/charge situation. It's not intended to be an overall reffing philosophy.
Really?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Really?
Well, what do you mean, "Really?" Yea, really, I wasn't joking or being subtle. I guess I haven't polled trainers and camp clinicians around the country, but this is how I've always heard it. And it makes sense. See the Whole Play is a better way to be sure that you're catching as much as possible, don't you think?
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

"Referee the Defense" is NOT the same as "Referee ONLY the Defense"
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Well, what do you mean, "Really?" Yea, really, I wasn't joking or being subtle. I guess I haven't polled trainers and camp clinicians around the country, but this is how I've always heard it. And it makes sense. See the Whole Play is a better way to be sure that you're catching as much as possible, don't you think?
I asked "Really?" because I've never heard such a thing before.

"Referee the defense" is a philosophy that is used throughout basketball officiating, not just block/charge.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
"Referee the Defense" is NOT the same as "Referee ONLY the Defense"
Bingo.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Bingo.

OK, we have a clear answer.

MODS!!! In order to preserve the beauty and grace of this thread I demand it be locked now! No more discussion on this particular corner of the forum!!!

Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
MODS!!! In order to preserve the beauty and grace of this thread I demand it be locked now! No more discussion on this particular corner of the forum!!!
Request denied, since you are not the original poster of the thread.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Request denied, since you are not the original poster of the thread.
yeahbut I slept in a holiday inn last night...anyway

MODS!!!! I demand the right to declare threads complete and lockable be extended to anyone who posts in that thread!!!