View Single Post
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBrvs326
I am watching some NBA games tonight and thinking about referee the defense. This has been what I have worked on all year long as well as thinking the entire game on the court (not being dead minded). Anyway, I have noticed that sometimes I miss calls when I referee the defense, especially in the paint when players are bundled because if you referee the defense when a player is getting guarded by 3 players, your more than likely gonna miss someone foul the offense. Watching the NBA game, I see the officials watching the offense sometimes, while other times watching the defense. So when exactly do I watch the defense, and when do I watch the offense. In the example above, would I watch the offense and watch for fouls? Any advice would be great.
Travis
You make a good point about multiple defenders and players driving the lane. What might help you is to take a look to see if a player is attempting to draw a charge. If so, then that is going to be your primary focus. If not, then you can look for other defenders slapping the offensive player on the arm or such as well as traveling or other violations by the player with the ball.

"Referee the defense" doesn't mean to ignore the offense. It simply means that you FIRST look to see if the PRIMARY defender has position on potential crashes, if he is in your primary area. You must know this information in order to get the call right. If a secondary defender is attempting to take a charge, then whichever referee has that defender in his primary area must observe his position. Secondly, you look for defenders committing fouls by contacting the offensive player with the hands, arms, or legs. Lastly, you watch for violations by the offensive player. You already know the defender's position so if the offensive player causes contact the call is easy.