The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I recently observed a boys varsity game in which player A was on a breakaway layup. Player B in pursuit. After the ball hits the backboard, player B slaps the backboard and causes the ball to roll off the rim. The trail official calls basket interference. The coach of team A wants a technical for slapping the backboard. After the officials discuss, they wave off the basket interference and call the technical. Is this the correct call or could you also count the basket? Thanks.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 03:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

As they say at the Senior Center - "depends". There's another scenario in which B1 made a legitimate attempt to block the shot and his hand just happened to hit the backboard because of it. That's a no call.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kld9
I recently observed a boys varsity game in which player A was on a breakaway layup. Player B in pursuit. After the ball hits the backboard, player B slaps the backboard and causes the ball to roll off the rim. The trail official calls basket interference. The coach of team A wants a technical for slapping the backboard. After the officials discuss, they wave off the basket interference and call the technical. Is this the correct call or could you also count the basket? Thanks.
Slapping the backboard cannot be BI. It's either a T, or nothing, and the basket counts or not on its own accord.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the experts. The backboard slap call T has to be an intentional act. If you inadvertantly slap it while trying to block a shot, no call. If it's intentional, T! No bucket. 2 shots and a throw in at the division line. It might have been a BI in the first scenario but you wouldn't give the T for the backboard slap.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
It might have been a BI in the first scenario but you wouldn't give the T for the backboard slap.
Clarify, would you?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 21, 2001, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it's intentional, T! No bucket. 2 shots and a throw in at the division line.
Actually, if it's intentional and the ball goes in, team A gets the original score (2 or 3) and the 2 shots + ball for the technical foul.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2001, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry if I was unclear. If the player commits BI and then follows through by unintentionally slapping the backboard then the basket is counted and no T is given.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry if I was unclear. If the player commits BI and then follows through by unintentionally slapping the backboard then the basket is counted and no T is given.
Just curious...Why the T for slapping the backboard? Isnt Basket Interference (2 pts) enough? I understand the rule...just wondering about the intent.

Also, if the ball goes in and the board slap is deemed intentional, do you count the basket in addition to the T?

Larks...Once I jumped so high, I actually touched the net!
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 03:39pm
In Memoriam

[/B][/QUOTE]

Just curious...Why the T for slapping the backboard? Isnt Basket Interference (2 pts) enough? I understand the rule...just wondering about the intent.

Also, if the ball goes in and the board slap is deemed intentional, do you count the basket in addition to the T?

Larks...Once I jumped so high, I actually touched the net! [/B][/QUOTE]The rule was put in to stop players from "hot-dogging" or putting on a show.If you feel it's a legitimate block attempt,you ignore it.Any doubt at all ignore it!If you call this from lead,be prepared to have your shoes puked on!: Your other question was answered by Mark Dexter below--count the basket & apply the T.

Jurassic Referee...a kindlier and gentler ol' ref during the holiday season.