The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ranjo, you are a lucky man!! You'd better hang on to that one.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
I apologize if my scenario wasn't clear. A player is receiving a pass and his defender has a play on the ball as well. To avoid having the ball stolen, he bats the ball to the ground as opposed to catching it. The ball bounces once then he catches it. Does he still have his dribble? I lean towards "no" in this case.
I lean strongly toward the defensive tap/bat being considered to be uncontrolled, regardless of how it "controlled" it looks. If the defender elects to bat the ball rather than try to catch it, I rarely see this interpreted as control at any level and would not expect it to be considered control. That is expecting too much of the defender. I teach my players to bat towards backcourt on all passes to wing or to point, pick up the first opportunity they get to gain control of the ball, and then commence their dribble. Not clear if this is exactly your sitch, but I have trouble imagining a situation in which I would call this the start of the dribble.

In tap situation, regardless of any apparent control over tap, benefit of doubt should go to defense. Allow them to establish clear player control before considering it to be in player control. One defensive tap does not pass the test in my book.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
In tap situation, regardless of any apparent control over tap, benefit of doubt should go to defense. Allow them to establish clear player control before considering it to be in player control. One defensive tap does not pass the test in my book.
I gotta agree. That's a great explanation. It's hard to believe you're a coach.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 11:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The best way for a coach to learn the rules/officiating knowledge that we both talk about, is to become an official.
I'd settle for them just being in the same universe where rulebooks are sold.

It is still not too late to email Santa Claus with your request but I think that this one Christmas request that Santa will never be able to make good on in a million years.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
I apologize if my scenario wasn't clear. A player is receiving a pass and his defender has a play on the ball as well. To avoid having the ball stolen, he bats the ball to the ground as opposed to catching it. The ball bounces once then he catches it. Does he still have his dribble? I lean towards "no" in this case.
FED 4-15, Note 2: A player is not dribbling when ... he/she bats a ... pass away from other players who are attempting to get it. The player is not in control under these conditions.

So, in your case, I'd say the player still can dribble. (But, I agree with crew, et al, that IF you judge it to be control and the start of a dribble, then the player can't dribble again.)
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The best way for a coach to learn the rules/officiating knowledge that we both talk about, is to become an official.
I'd settle for them just being in the same universe where rulebooks are sold.
I think that leagues should require all coaches and assistants to sit thru a rules lecture given by a league official that specifically covers special league rules and POEs. Were talking what, an hour. It would be a good forum to explain how we are going to make certian calls. For example in a league I ref (3rd - 6th) there is an isolation rule designed to get all kids involved in the game. The coaches have no idea what we are looking for as a criteria to call it so they ALWAYS end up requiring a explanation. A couple other things we could cover include the 3 second count ends on a shot attempt...just because a taller kid jumps straight up but reaches over his vertically challenged defender to grab a board its not "over the back". Etc. At least get the coaches on the same planet.

Larks...Rookie Dreamer
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

I think that leagues should require all coaches and assistants to sit thru a rules lecture given by a league official that specifically covers special league rules and POEs. Were talking what, an hour.
We can't even get our coaches to come to the rec league organizational meeting.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 24, 2001, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Mark T.'s Post is flirting with humor :D

It made me wonder... What is more difficult to understand (Explain) The logic of a coach or a blonde.

(Sorry blondes, I am married to one. Does that give me a "pass" or an alibi?)