The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   We don't need no stinkin'....part 3 (and last try) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34995-we-dont-need-no-stinkin-part-3-last-try.html)

Mark Padgett Thu May 24, 2007 05:28pm

We don't need no stinkin'....part 3 (and last try)

OK, guys. So far we've used up two threads that were supposed to be about NF rule changes we'd like to see and we have a grand total of two suggestions - changing the terminology for intentional fouls and going to halves instead of quarters. Oh yeah - someone mentioned the changing the double bonus penalty, too. However, most of thread number two was taken up by a discussion of school funding. What's next - turning a discussion about dunking at half-time into one about the Iraq war? :(

Rule change ideas, please. Thank you.

BillyMac Thu May 24, 2007 08:28pm

Time Outs

Suggestion: Coaches cannot call time outs during a live ball or while the clock is running. One of my toughest calls is watching a dribbler cross the division line, get trapped against the back court line and the sideline, look for fouls, travel, out of bounds, etc., hear "Time out" from the bench area, and check to see if it's the head coach of the team that is allowed to call timeout in that situation. It's giving me a headache just typing up the situation.

JRutledge Thu May 24, 2007 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Suggestion: Coaches cannot call time outs during a live ball or while the clock is running.

It should request a timeout. Only officials can call a timeout.

I want to save Mark the time. :D

Peace

Mark Padgett Thu May 24, 2007 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Us Chicago guys have to stick together, besides - the meds have me really sleepy right now. :p

Here's an idea for a rule change. Once the ball has progressed into the front court and there is a subsequent throw-in for the offensive team, that team cannot inbound into the backcourt. What do you guys think?

M&M Guy Thu May 24, 2007 09:19pm

Quote:

Peace

I know some coaches deserve this label, but not all.

I would prefer only the players be allowed to request a TO during a live ball, but I believe that was voted down by the committee this year. Hopefully they will bring it up again next year.

Now, about that Iraq war...

JRutledge Thu May 24, 2007 09:28pm

Imo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Thanks. I appreciate the help. Us Chicago guys have to stick together, besides - the meds have me really sleepy right now. :p

:D

Quote:

Here's an idea for a rule change. Once the ball has progressed into the front court and there is a subsequent throw-in for the offensive team, that team cannot inbound into the backcourt. What do you guys think?

I think that would add to violations and likely more conflict about the rule. Also HS players are not always as coordinated and you would have some violations that might just take place because of poor execution. I do not see a purpose for such a rule.

Peace

M&M Guy Thu May 24, 2007 09:29pm

Quote:

I think I understand your thinking on that one, but I think it would entail too many tweaks to the rules. Would OOB now be considered part of the front court? Or would we need to add exceptions to the back court rule? What if, while team A has the ball in their frontcourt, the ball is deflected by the defense and goes OOB along a backcourt sideline - would the throw-in only be allowed back into the front court?

Besides, I'm too old - I dislike change. :D

Now, getting back to that troop funding bill...

Camron Rust Thu May 24, 2007 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I think I understand your thinking on that one, but I think it would entail too many tweaks to the rules. Would OOB now be considered part of the front court? Or would we need to add exceptions to the back court rule? What if, while team A has the ball in their frontcourt, the ball is deflected by the defense and goes OOB along a backcourt sideline - would the throw-in only be allowed back into the front court?

Besides, I'm too old - I dislike change. :D

Now, getting back to that troop funding bill...

My biggest question is why bother? Nothing is broken with it the way it is.

SmokeEater Fri May 25, 2007 07:11am

So far the two suggestions in this thread reflect FIBA rules. Interesting.....;)

DC_Ref12 Fri May 25, 2007 07:36am

Quote:

Peace

Only officials may grant a timeout.

If we're gonna get it right, let's get it right.

M&M Guy Fri May 25, 2007 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
My biggest question is why bother? Nothing is broken with it the way it is.

Are you saying the troop funding bill isn't broken? :confused:

Junker Fri May 25, 2007 09:50am

Here's my suggestion. Make everything but a pony tail holder, a uniform, shoes, socks and any protective devices (knee braces, etc) illegal. Quit even dinking around with all the sweatbands and headbands. I'm tired of being the fashion police.

M&M Guy Fri May 25, 2007 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Here's my suggestion. Make everything but a pony tail holder, a uniform, shoes, socks and any protective devices (knee braces, etc) illegal. Quit even dinking around with all the sweatbands and headbands. I'm tired of being the fashion police.

Um, what color pony tail holder?

Mark Padgett Fri May 25, 2007 11:16am

OK, guys - how about this one? If a team has possession in its backcourt and there is a subsequent throwin by that team, also in its backcourt, they get only the unused time left from their original 10 seconds to advance to frontcourt, not a restart on the 10 second clock. This would seem to reward the defense properly for not easily letting the team advance the ball on their original possession.

stmaryrams Fri May 25, 2007 11:24am

Quote:

they get only the unused time left from their original 10 seconds to advance to frontcourt, not a restart on the 10 second clock.

The defensive reward is the opponent calling a time out. Unless you have TV timeouts involved, 5 per game can be a reletive low number. This is dependent on the teams involved.