The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   We don't need no stinkin'....part 3 (and last try) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34995-we-dont-need-no-stinkin-part-3-last-try.html)

Junker Fri May 25, 2007 12:10pm

I like the idea of keeping the 10 second count after a time out, but this would be difficult to keep track of, especially in states where a shot clock is not used. I guess my way of thinking is if a coach wants to waste a TO on one possession because of a potential backcourt violation, let them waste it.

rockyroad Fri May 25, 2007 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
I guess my way of thinking is if a coach wants to waste a TO on one possession because of a potential backcourt violation, let them waste it.

I've always questioned the intelligence of calling time-outs in situations like this...the one that really gets me is in the first quarter, kids are scrambling for a loose ball, dive on the floor, one kid grabs the ball and then "requests" time-out before he/she can be tied up - and the arrow is in their favor. I really don't get wasting that time-out...

And the rule change I would like to see is going to POI after a tecnical foul - not going to half-court. No real reason why - I just like it better...

Junker Fri May 25, 2007 12:45pm

I have another idea, how about limiting the number of coaches on the bench. I work one school that has about as many assistants as they have players. The adults get to complaining about things to each other, and the next thing you know, we're whacking either them or the HC. I can see having a HC and AC, but beyond that, why not have trainers and that's it for adults on the bench?

Adam Fri May 25, 2007 12:53pm

Quote:

I like the idea of keeping the 10 second count after a time out, but this would be difficult to keep track of, especially in states where a shot clock is not used. I guess my way of thinking is if a coach wants to waste a TO on one possession because of a potential backcourt violation, let them waste it.

FIBA fan! :eek:

bob jenkins Fri May 25, 2007 02:04pm

The team that wins the toss must hold the ball outside the three-point arc until 30-seconds or less are left in the period. The team that loses the toss must play zone defense inside the three-point arc for the entire period.

Junker Fri May 25, 2007 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
FIBA fan! :eek:

Is that the FIBA rule? I wouldn't know. I know about as much about those as I know about soccer.

JugglingReferee Fri May 25, 2007 02:34pm

Quote:

This is the FIBA rule and it is not difficult to implement.

JRutledge Fri May 25, 2007 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
I've always questioned the intelligence of calling time-outs in situations like this...the one that really gets me is in the first quarter, kids are scrambling for a loose ball, dive on the floor, one kid grabs the ball and then "requests" time-out before he/she can be tied up - and the arrow is in their favor. I really don't get wasting that time-out...

I do not think those timeouts are requested with full understanding of the arrow. I also do not think that is it just a fear of being tied up. I think there is a fear to lose the ball. Possessions mean a lot and if you can save them by calling a timeout I think that is an honorable strategy.

Peace

rockyroad Fri May 25, 2007 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think those timeouts are requested with full understanding of the arrow. I also do not think that is it just a fear of being tied up. I think there is a fear to lose the ball. Possessions mean a lot and if you can save them by calling a timeout I think that is an honorable strategy.

Peace

Yeah, I get that...but in the first quarter??? I think that time-out would probably be handier in the closing minutes than that one possession in the first quarter...

JRutledge Fri May 25, 2007 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
Yeah, I get that...but in the first quarter??? I think that time-out would probably be handier in the closing minutes than that one possession in the first quarter...

Using timeouts only in the closing minutes are not going to guarantee you a win. If I turn the ball over just 5 times early in a game, that could be 10 points (15 points at the most) which can change the momentum of an entire game. So calling a timeout early might help save the game if used properly.

Peace

Adam Fri May 25, 2007 03:32pm

Personally, if I was a coach, I'd tell the players not to do this unless I tell them before-hand that it's okay. Or, at the very least, there would be a lot of times I'd tell them not to do it because the time-outs were more valuable.

Mark Padgett Fri May 25, 2007 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The team that wins the toss must hold the ball outside the three-point arc until 30-seconds or less are left in the period. The team that loses the toss must play zone defense inside the three-point arc for the entire period.

I like that, especially if you add that all players except the ball handler must sit down on the court during that time.

It sure would give me the opportunity to catch up on my reading during games. ;)