The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Coach wants a timeout...

...after the first free throw. He tells you before the first free throw is administered (while you're reporting the foul). Do you give it to him as soon as the first free throw is finished or do you make him ask for it again?
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

I always tell them to request the timeout at the proper time or when they want it called. I do that so that if they change their mind it is not on me. I have yet to have a coach not understand or get mad because I did not give them a "pre-determined" timeout.

Peace
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I always tell them to request the timeout at the proper time or when they want it called. I do that so that if they change their mind it is not on me. I have yet to have a coach not understand or get mad because I did not give them a "pre-determined" timeout.

Peace
What he said.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the others. I'll say OK coach, but I'll look at you after the first to make sure. Then I do that and if they still want it, grant the TO.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:19pm
Ch1town

With that being said, is it correct procedure to grant a pre-determined TO in the following situations?

a> after a team scores, the throw-in teams coach says give me a time out when we cross half court.

b> after a dead ball the defensive teams coach says if they score give me a time out?

Or should we have them request again?
Personally, knowing in advance on those type of situations makes managing the game easier. It’s nothing like granting a time out when coach really called the play “five out” or you didn’t hear coach requesting at all because of the crowd noise.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
...after the first free throw. He tells you before the first free throw is administered (while you're reporting the foul). Do you give it to him as soon as the first free throw is finished or do you make him ask for it again?
As the others have said, you simply follow the rules. You grant a TO only when it's legally requested. It's covered in NFHS rule 5-8-3.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
With that being said, is it correct procedure to grant a pre-determined TO in the following situations?

a> after a team scores, the throw-in teams coach says give me a time out when we cross half court.

b> after a dead ball the defensive teams coach says if they score give me a time out?
No and no.

Rule 5-8-3.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:27pm
Ch1town

Yep, I guess the key words are granted only when...
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
As the others have said, you simply follow the rules. You grant a TO only when it's legally requested. It's covered in NFHS rule 5-8-3.
The rule does not specify that a coach may not request a timeout for a future occurence. It only says specifies when an official may grant a timeout.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The rule does not specify that a coach may not request a timeout for a future occurence. It only says specifies when an official may grant a timeout.
Yup, it sureasheck does tell you when to grant a legal request for a TO. That's exactly why you can't grant pre-requests. It ain't specified in the rule as being one of the only occasions during which TO requests may be granted.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, it sureasheck does tell you when to grant a legal request for a TO. That's exactly why you can't grant pre-requests. It ain't specified in the rule as being one of the only occasions during which TO requests may be granted.
JR, the rule book gives NO guidelines on the requesting of a timeout. None. Only the granting of a timeout.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town

Or should we have them request again?
Personally, knowing in advance on those type of situations makes managing the game easier. It’s nothing like granting a time out when coach really called the play “five out” or you didn’t hear coach requesting at all because of the crowd noise.
Have them request again and, more importantly, tell them that they're going to have to request it when they actually want it.

The only thing that should be "easier" is that you now know the coach wants the TO, but you shouldn't cop out by granting it early.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JR, the rule book gives NO guidelines on the requesting of a timeout. None. Only the granting of a timeout.
Take another look at 5-8-3. They request, we grant, assuming the timing of both is proper. There is no provision for a "delay" between asking and receiving.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Take another look at 5-8-3. They request, we grant, assuming the timing of both is proper. There is no provision for a "delay" between asking and receiving.
Again, the timing is specifically linked to the "granting" and not the "request" as outlined in the rule.

I understand your point, but I also do not know for sure that because there is no provision mentioned, it is not allowed.

I'm just not convinced that it's not something that is allowed. I agree that it's poor procedure and, as JRut pointed out, can lead to confusion and therefore shouldn't be used, but I'm not really willing to concede - for the sake of argument - that it's illegal per se.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Again, the timing is specifically linked to the "granting" and not the "request" as outlined in the rule.

I understand your point, but I also do not know for sure that because there is no provision mentioned, it is not allowed.

I'm just not convinced that it's not something that is allowed. I agree that it's poor procedure and, as JRut pointed out, can lead to confusion and therefore shouldn't be used, but I'm not really willing to concede - for the sake of argument - that it's illegal per se.
A basic rule of thumb is when a rule does not specifically allow something it is a stretch to assume you can do it. In a situation like this it really is a stretch. BTW, a coach can only request a timeout. Officials actually grant them and I am not granting one with "if...." and "when this happens...." as apart of my duties.

Peace