The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Just looking 4 opinions here. I have recently been asked to work a boys high school game comming up this Friday Dec. 21. Both coaches have asked me to work the game. Heres the deal.... 1 coach is my dad... The other coach is my lil brother.(opposite teams}. What would you do??? I thought about it 4 a while and said to myself.... Why not???? I did take the game. What would you have done???
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Sounds more like a family get-together. Assuming you are a member of an association, are you allowed to take games directly from schools and/or coaches?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I'd take the game and "T" 'em both

Not to many chances you get to be the boss and can tell your dad to sit down and be quiet!

But seriously, I'd listen to the advice given by Paulis. If you're allowed--per association rules--then go for it!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

In my state only the bigger cities have associations and the smaller towns contract out the games on their own. This game is about a 1/2 an hour outside of the city that I live in so it is contracted out by the home school. Also my dad has had 5 state championnships and over 500 career wins and never had a "T". On the other hand.. My lil bro has been a head coach for 3 years and gets a lil bit would up at times. He has had a few "T's" allready.

[Edited by BOBBYMO on Dec 18th, 2001 at 11:06 AM]
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Just remember.....Christmas dinner may not be very much fun if YOU happen to do something that messes up the game

If you feel comfortable you can do the game, but if it was a situation with only one team having family ties, definitely run the other way!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I say go for it! Sounds like you're allowed. And if Christmas dinner gets tense, remind them you were just there to enforce the rules...they were the ones who decided to break them

You could also remind them of what was happening last year in the Bush family and Thanksgiving was civil. Also sounds like your dad is overdue for a T...wouldn't be great to give him his first?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Sounds like they are setting you up to be the Christmas TURKEY!!! Although, you can have some great comebacks.
For instance, Dad yells out - what kind of call was that, you reply Coach, you didn't teach me to play defense like that. Then Lil Brother yells out - what kind of call was that, you reply Coach, I didn't teach you to do play defense like that. I be interested to see who's side MOM TAKES !!!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
She always did like Bobby best!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Talking

Mom! Make Dad sit down, he keeps bothering me! And bring
me more cheezy poofs!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Mom! Make Dad sit down, he keeps bothering me! And bring
me more cheezy poofs!
TWEET....Violation on Dad for drinking the last beer. Penalty: Brother has to get more from seven 11....and it better be Bud because you need more grain in your diet!

Larks....VIT / BDE (veteran In Training / Beer Drinking Expert)
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I would say check with your state. OH has some regs on things like this.

Personally, I would have stayed far away from this. Nothing mixes worse with family than business, politics, or money. In this case there might be a little of all three mixed in.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2001, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I'd take it. I'd love to be there when lil bro beats Dad at his own game.:-) Sounds like a mutual conflict of interst.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2001, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bfed
Bobby have fun. Just talked to Robbie your partner for the game and he is looking foward to it also. If I didn't have another game to work I would be in the stands to watch. I have officiated his Brother's and Dad's team. They are all First class.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Wink UPDATE

Just to fill you in on the result of the game. The game went very smooth. Both teams shot well and the game was very close all the way through. The lead changed hands 3 different times in the last 22 seconds alone. Dads team hits a 3 to go up by 2 with 3.5 seconds left in the game.Timeout. Lil bro's team has a long inbounds pass and hits a 3 to win the game by 1 at the buzzer. If you are interrested. go to http://www.omaha.com click on sports then on archives and click on sat Dec.22 for the story. P.S. They are both still talking to me!!!!!
Old Sun Dec 23, 2001, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

My dad coaches 5-6 grade perochial school bb, and when I am open, I reff games there. Last season, I had all of his games. One game I ended up t'ing the other coach and eventually gave him the boot. 2 st. john (the perochial school) games, they were vsing. Coach starts barking about how I am out to get his daughter, and call fouls on her because "she is soooo good..." then, she says to another player who is better than her (kid on my dad's team) "get the **** away from me!) BOOM t'd her, then coach (bigshot who got rejected by 6 major league baseball teams, cuz he was too slow) "Hey reff, stop calling the game for your dad" BOOM. the saga continues, but I have done many of my father's games and most of them are ok, but all it takes is one game. Would I not accept games that the athletic director offers me because of this? No, I am just careful not to treat him any differently, and I like to think I don't. If it was an upper level game, I would NOT, you shouldn't put yourself in that position, from a previous post, you never know who is watching. You don't want to portray that you let emotion influence your game. Just some food for thought

Doug