The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had 2 timing situations in a game last night. In the first one the clock came unplugged early in to the 4th quarter. I stopped play and the home coach took care of it. After he fixed the problem, wanted me to take some time off the clock because he said that some time had elapsed before the problem was noticed. I went over to the bench and told him that A. It was his clock and his guy running the clock and B. I can't add or take away time unless I have definite knowledge of what that time is.

In the second situation his team scored with 2.3 seconds left on the clock and his clock guy stopped it after the bucket. The other team grabbed the ball and just held it out of bounds. Three seconds on my throw in count elapsed and the horn didn't go off. I looked up and the clock said 2.3 seconds. I blew my whistle and said game over. The coach came up to my and asked my why I could take time off the clock in that case and not in the other. I said that I had definite knowledge of the time in the second case(throwin count) and not in the first. End of game, end of conversation.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Right on both cases.

The second one sounds like a case of "home cookin'" to me. MMMmmmmmmmmm, home cooked food . . . (can you tell that I'm at college?)
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't it time to go home for the holidays yet? My son's been hmoe since last Monday. Hell, he's even got a job!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

It's definately time to go home for Christmas; unfortunately it's also time that I have exams - until Wednesday.

I'll be back to my usual Yankee self Thursday afternoon.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
These new Scoretronic(i think) clocks that are coming out have something wrong with the clock starter/stopper. We have a basic basketball baor at the JH where i work the clock for games. within in the last 30 seconds the clock likes to not start or stop sometimes. Pain the butt.... But with these newer scorboads that are "computerized" you have to be careful.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

This is where game and clock management come into play. If the clock went completely off and the time was lost, how much would you put up on the clock? My point?

You should know at what point the clock went off within just a few seconds and probably had an idea of how much time elapsed before you stopped play.

Although you wont be perfect, at least you'll have a clue, or a beetr explanation for the coach.

I had a game the other night, and the clock went off because of a plug. We stopped play immediately, and as we approached the table I stated that the clock should be about 4:38, luckily the clock did not reset at the controller. The real game time was 4:30. So I would have been close, and could have told the coach at what point I knew where the game clock was.
Try and pay attention to the clock throughout the game. My guess it was not the first time during the game that the timer messed up.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2001, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

It happens all the time around here. Especially at the lower level games. With that clock the time went back to what it was when it came unplugged. The coaches contention was that some time had elapsed before the problem was noticed. This is true because I was watching the game and not the clock. My point is that I had no definite knowledge of the time that had elapsed and neither did my partner. I wasn't going to guess. If this had been a clock that went back to 0:00 when it became unplugged, that would have been a whole other problem. I suppose what I would have done in that situation would be to set it to the last known time that was left. i.e. the last time that either official looked at the scoreboard.