View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 15, 2001, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Saw a great game tonight -- well, not the greatest, because I think one team was having a bad night--shots weren't falling and so on. But two very good teams playing very, very well. It was an "arch-rivalry" with lots of screaming fans. I sat right behind the table and just soaked in the whole thing.

The refs did a fantastic job -- although it was not what I would have expected, since one in particular was just plain funny-looking. He was over-weight, pigeon-toed, his pants were too short, and he had a bizarre haircut. He ran like the mailman trying to get away from a dog. His mechanics were quite original, and he made faces at the players when he called fouls on them. Yet, he and his partner together kept complete control of a very tight and hard fought battle, with one coach in particular being very vocal the whole game.

So what did he have that made him so good to get assigned to this game and to come across so well? I thought about it all the way home. The only things I can figure are that he just oozed confidence, he was ALWAYS in position, and he had very good judgment. From my angle, I couldn't always see the foul, but I could tell that he could see it. The coach didn't always agree, and the foul numbers were quite uneven in the first half, but he was calling the game in front of him -- one team really was fouling more. Most of all, HE knew he was right, regardless of what everyone else in the gym thought. And somehow his knowledge was convincing.

I guess I know what I need to work on next...

[Edited by rainmaker on Dec 15th, 2001 at 03:41 AM]