The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
No T for this situation, but here's what happened. First half, so defending team is in front of its own bench. I am the Lead official, opposite table (2-man game).

A1 puts up a shot, which rebounds to my side (away from table). B2 has inside rebounding position with A2 behind him. B2 has an arm back to "feel" A2. But instead of just getting a feel, B2 wraps up A2 and drags him to the ground while trying to grab the rebound with his other hand.

I call a holding foul on B2 and go report it to the table. Because we switch on all fouls, guess where I'm now standing? That's right. Directly in front of Coach B, who says to me, "Do you mean to tell me that I do rebounding drills every day so you can make THAT call?!"

"Coach, he can't pull him down."

"So I'm teaching it wrong?!"

"Coach, I don't know how you're teaching it. But he can't hold him and pull him down."

Ball finally heads to other end of the floor.

I just got a little chuckle out of that exchange, b/c he immediately wanted to make it personal. Like my call was a personal commentary on his coaching ability. Shoulda banged him, just to even out the T on the other coach.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

it sounds like a decent conversation, but i could be reading it in the wrong tone. if the coach is real aggressive it changes my outlook on this conversation almost totally.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 05:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
it sounds like a decent conversation, but i could be reading it in the wrong tone. if the coach is real aggressive it changes my outlook on this conversation almost totally.
If the coach was real aggressive,I'm sure that ChuckE would have changed his outlook on the conversation,too--and banged his butt.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It was aggressive, but it was short, and I was able to get away before something nasty was said. So I let it go.

Chuck
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It was aggressive, but it was short, and I was able to get away before something nasty was said. So I let it go.

Chuck
I think that's a good decision. Every hostile exchange is not a T. If he absolutely refuses to let go, bring on the T. I've seen and heard far worse than that and 95% of the refs would pass on it.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 03:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I had a similar coach comment last night. We're about 2 minutes into the game and A1 goes up for a jumper. B1 comes across his arm, makes a lot of contact with the arm and then swipes the ball away. I call a shooting foul. As we've all heard before, coach B (notice I've stopped capitalizing the word "coach" because capitalizing indicates a proper, not a common noun, and so few of the coaches I know are proper, but they all are common) yells, "Great block. Keep doing that all night." Of course this just fuels B1's attitude that it was a bad call. While we're lining up, coach B yells it twice more. Finally, I had enough. I turn to B1 and say, "Yeah, keep doing that 4 more times and you'll be out of the game." He got a look on his face like I just asked him to explain Einstein's theory.