The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

I have never seen any official in our association make the delay warning call for contacting the shooter or huddling between free throws. Several times in every game I see players 'slap five' with the shooter between shots. To me this is contact with the shooter and should be penalized as a delay of game warning on the first one and technical fouls on any further delay. I haven't been calling it either. I don't want to be the only one doing so. Does anyone else make this call? I would like to see consistency on this call within our association. Any suggestions?

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
I have never seen any official in our association make the delay warning call for contacting the shooter or huddling between free throws. Several times in every game I see players 'slap five' with the shooter between shots. To me this is contact with the shooter and should be penalized as a delay of game warning on the first one and technical fouls on any further delay. I haven't been calling it either. I don't want to be the only one doing so. Does anyone else make this call? I would like to see consistency on this call within our association. Any suggestions?

slappin 5 is an acceptable form of congrats for a made freethrow and also an acceptable form for players to keep their teammates spirits for a missed freethrow. i actually enjoy seeing the team work when players do this. as for the team huddle, just get in there and break them up. if it continues blatantly and you believe they are making a travesty of the game then penalty should be enforced by warning then action. ask a vet in your association what the proper procedure is in your association. that will probly be your best form of acquiring the proper info.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Never really understood the "contact with the free thrower" provision in this rule.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

It's OK As Long As It's Brief

This subject came up in one of our pre-season association meetings last year. Our Rules Interpreter advised to let it go as long as it's brief and doesn't involve a discussion. I agree with the post above... it's generally a good sign of teamwork.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 08:47am
Administrator

Sorry to burst some peoples' bubbles, but slapping five with the freethrow shooter is prohibited by the rules. I know that we all like to see good sportsmanship but the NFHS Rules Committe has said that this is a delay of game and requires an official warning. The best way to nip this in the bud is at the captains' meeting.

I have issued this warning, but not too many times. Probably not more than five times over the last five years.

The rule about delay of warning for making contact with the freethrow shooter brings to mind a funny situation that I had involving the rule.

In the summer of 1998, a good friend of mine (MAC evaluator of women's basketball officials) and I were officiating in the YBOA Girls' National. A team from Western Penn. kept wanting to slap five with the freethrow shooter. After the game we had a nice fifteen minute conversation with the coaches about the rule and they were quite satisfied with our explaination and thanked us. The next spring I was officiating the YBOA Ohio State Qualifier, and western Penn. teams play in this tournament, and guess what, I had a game involving the same team and coaches. The very first time their team shot freethrows the players slapped five with the freethrow shooter and I issued the delay of game warning. The coaches practically blew a gasket. When I reminded them of our conversation the previous summer in Florida they turned ten shades of red. We did not hear another word from them the rest of the game.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I concur

As long as it does not interrupt "the flow of the game" it is acceptable. Many times you have substitutes entering the game and there is ample time for a "quick" high-five.

As the administering official (lead), you should be able to get them keep them "in the game" and not cause a delay by simply stepping into the lane and verbalizing a forceful, “Ok, here we go! We have one throw.” Then prepare to administer the ball to the shooter.

If the celebration becomes a habitual and prolonged and DOES interrupt "the flow of the game", I would give the verbal warning for delay.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I agree with willie. As long as it doesn't actually delay the game, I don't consider it to be a delay of game. If the shooter is ready to accept the ball when I'm ready to administer it, there hasn't been a delay.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

This is the first year that I've actually had a team huddle with the free thrower. This was a middle school game and the first time they huddled I reminded them they couldn't huddle. The next time a delay warning - that was the end of the huddle!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

To me this is not a big issue. If they huddle=warning, if they slap hands and I have to wait on them to administer I will usually say "you need to stay in your lanes, not supposed to do that, nicely and go on". It has never caused a problem in my games, so far.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Secondyear

You may have had the huddles last year, but you were too busy keeping track of yourself and what was going on with your partner.

We all go through the "growth phases" of officiating.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Exclamation

NFHS rules state this is delay you can call your state assoication i agree we all like to see good sportsmanship however we dont make the rules we enforce them nor are we authorized to pick which rules will or will not be enforced
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

So, you're saying that you call every single violation and foul that you see, without using any judgment or without trying to weigh the spirit and intent of the rules?

Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Red face

no thats not what im saying i am simply stating what the book says frankly im with you i dont like the rule however if the rule is their you got to enforce however you dont have to call it the first time you can say dont do that and that should end it however encourage to congrdulate their teamates verbelly
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
no thats not what im saying i am simply stating what the book says frankly im with you i dont like the rule however if the rule is their you got to enforce however you dont have to call it the first time you can say dont do that and that should end it however encourage to congrdulate their teamates verbelly
Okay, I can live with that.

BTW, don't be offended but your posts are somewhat difficult to read without any punctuation. Just a period here and there would help a lot. Thanks!

Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 06:02am
In Memoriam

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
Okay, I can live with that.

BTW, don't be offended but your posts are somewhat difficult to read without any punctuation. Just a period here and there would help a lot. Thanks!
D'ont.be.offended.but.my.goodness.you.certainly.ar e.a.hard.*ss.sometimes.,big.Tony.,(not.Todd.or.l'i l.Tony.).