The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   maybe not by the book (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33913-maybe-not-book.html)

jsblanton Mon Apr 23, 2007 05:10pm

maybe not by the book

At my most recent game, my partner crawled all over me for letting a "non-speaking" player come to me and ask a valid question. He was polite so I politely answered him. I thought I was just being courtious. My partner at halftme told me to only answer questions from the "speaking captain". I thought what I did was better game management for the situation at hand. The question the kid asked was "Do we get the ball on the baseline and can we run?" I pointed to the spot and said "You can run". Not a big deal. (I thought) I would like some input. Thanks.

Raymond Mon Apr 23, 2007 05:13pm

I see no problem with what you did. How did your partner approach you about the situation?

Jurassic Referee Mon Apr 23, 2007 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsblanton
At my most recent game, my partner crawled all over me for letting a "non-speaking" player come to me and ask a valid question. He was polite so I politely answered him. I thought I was just being courtious. My partner at halftme told me to only answer questions from the "speaking captain". I thought what I did was better game management for the situation at hand. The question the kid asked was "Do we get the ball on the baseline and can we run?" I pointed to the spot and said "You can run". Not a big deal. (I thought) I would like some input. Thanks.

Your partner is an OOO.

You done good.

DC_Ref12 Mon Apr 23, 2007 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Your partner is an OOO.

You done good.

Okay, I'll bite. What's that?

Agree that your partner's being overly sensitive. Player is well within their rights to clarify what type of throw-in it is, just like it's okay to ask how many free throws it is and where the ball is being taken out of bounds.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 23, 2007 06:06pm

Quote:

Just say thanks to his feedback and ignore it. The guy clearly has no clue. Answer this question EVERY time it is asked. Answer any polite and respectful question from any player regardless of who the captain is.

Jay R Mon Apr 23, 2007 06:09pm

[QUOTE=DC_Ref12]Okay, I'll bite. What's that?

Overly officious official.

tjones1 Mon Apr 23, 2007 06:40pm

I've got no problem with it. I would have done exactly the same thing. Way to be...

Adam Mon Apr 23, 2007 07:06pm

Would your partner answer this question from a coach?

Let me guess, this partner has a reputation of being "unapproachable."

Good grief.

JugglingReferee Mon Apr 23, 2007 08:40pm

Quote:

Bad call by your P. You did good.

shave-tail Mon Apr 23, 2007 08:59pm

Quote:

What were you to do? Completely ingore him and look like an A-HOLE.

Tell him to go get the "speaking captain" so he can ask the question.

The speaking captain is needed to relay "official" information to the coach or other players and visa-versa, anything else is completely acceptable.

mick Mon Apr 23, 2007 09:02pm

Quote:

The question the kid asked was "Do we get the ball on the baseline and can we run?" I pointed to the spot and said "You can run". Not a big deal. (I thought) I would like some input. Thanks.

Works for me.
I would have answered the player and "waved/swept" the endline so that both teams knew.

JRutledge Mon Apr 23, 2007 09:18pm

I have no problem listening to players that are not the "speaking captain" but I will not spend a lot to time answering questions every time there is a situation either. I think there is a good balance that can be achieved.

Peace

mick Mon Apr 23, 2007 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have no problem listening to players that are not the "speaking captain" but I will not spend a lot to time answering questions every time there is a situation either. I think there is a good balance that can be achieved.

Peace

Rut,
If some kid comes off the bench and walks up to you with those big, clear, bright eyes and asks you, Mr. Official, Sir ....?
Yer answerin' him. :)

JRutledge Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Rut,
If some kid comes off the bench and walks up to you with those big, clear, bright eyes and asks you, Mr. Official, Sir ....?
Yer answerin' him. :)

That always sounds great, but it is very rare if ever a player says "Sir" or comes to you without having an attitude of some kind.

Peace

Adam Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:40am

Usually, when I've been approached by a player, it's very respectful. I can usually see some frustration, but it's always respectful. Must be a regional thing. :D