The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2001, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I never claimed to be real quick. " One more time for the slow guy huh fella's".
If A1 inbounds the ball under A's own basket the ball is tipped by A2 and goes into the back court and then A2 recovers the ball is this a violation?
Mark Dexter has a 4 step formula for determining this, but I was unable to locate this in previous posts. Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old Sun Dec 09, 2001, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Not my list

This is not my formula, just one that I have seen dozens of times before on this and other internet discussion boards.

Here are the four points. If any are missing, it's not a backcourt violation:
(1) Team A must have control.
(2) The ball must obtain frontcourt status.
(3) A must be the first to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt.
(4) A must be the first to touch the ball in the backcourt.

In this case, A never had control (no team control on a throw-in) so it is not a violation.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2001, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks Mark, I justy found the post and even the very same stich, I'm relieved I made the right call. And it was actually bballrefs list. Thanks again!!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to udbomber
Throw-in - backcourt violation without taking possesion

In Mark Dexter's 4 points, offense does not always have to have control (point #1). Yes it is true, offense can juggle ball across the line and not have control but if the defense touches the ball on the throw-in, the throw-in ends and ball, now touching offense and going into backcourt , and now being touched by offense first is a backcourt violation.

You Make the Call!!!Advanced Situation: A team is awarded a throw-in at half court. The inbounds pass is deflected by the defense and the offensive guard, jumping in the air from his frontcourt, grabs the deflected ball while in the air and lands in his backcourt. You make the call!!!

Ruling: If you called nothing because no team control was established until the ball was caught in the air and the first landing of the feet was in the backcourt, you are incorrect. If you called a backcourt violation because the throw-in ends when it is legally touched by the defense, you are correct. The airborne guard gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from his frontcourt therefore having frontcourt status. As soon as the guard lands in his backcourt, he has committed a backcourt violation.

Rule 9.9.3: A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. (Casebook Situation)
Note: The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by udbomber
In Mark Dexter's 4 points, offense does not always have to have control (point #1). Yes it is true, offense can juggle ball across the line and not have control but if the defense touches the ball on the throw-in, the throw-in ends and ball, now touching offense and going into backcourt , and now being touched by offense first is a backcourt violation.
Not true. No team control in frontcourt. No violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sigh.......

Completely wrong.

Lah me.....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yah I remember from one of the backcourt posts that no it would not be a backcourt violation. If A1 shot the ball, off rim, then a2 taps it out and it goes to the backcourt and then a3 grabs it would that be backcourt? I would again say no but I'm not positive. And would it matter if the tap is intentional like a controlled tap. A tap pass.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

You Make the Call!!!Advanced Situation: A team is awarded a throw-in at half court. The inbounds pass is deflected by the defense and the offensive guard, jumping in the air from his frontcourt, grabs the deflected ball while in the air and lands in his backcourt. You make the call!!!

Ruling: If you called nothing because no team control was established until the ball was caught in the air and the first landing of the feet was in the backcourt, you are incorrect. If you called a backcourt violation because the throw-in ends when it is legally touched by the defense, you are correct. The airborne guard gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from his frontcourt therefore having frontcourt status. As soon as the guard lands in his backcourt, he has committed a backcourt violation.
Where is this reference from?

Also, don't you see the difference between this sitch and the OP??
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Lah me.....
Nice! Another appearance of "Lah me..." That's the JR we know!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 05:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That's the JR we know!
And love......

Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to udbomber
New casebook scenario this year

Read the new casebook scenario this year with the asterik.

General rule is: there is no backcourt violation on throw-ins but all backcourt rules still apply meaning you can throw the ball into the backcourt on a throw-in after being in the frontcourt but you have to watch player location on the throw-in.

If player receives pass in the air from his leaving his feet in the frontcourt last and the defensive player touches the inbounds pass, you now immediately have to go with player location at that moment which in this case is the receiving player being in the frontcourt, receives inbounds pass and now lands in the backcourt for a violation.

A shot off the rim touching the offensive man and into the backcourt shows no possession yet so legal to retrieve ball in backcourt.

Same for an inbounds pass from baseline with throw lofting to the half-court line where a receiving offensive player is not sure where his location is so he jumps and tips the ball into the backcourt making it all legal with no possession. But if touched by defense on inbounds pass, it ends and player location is immediately established. Mid-court immediately becomes an out of bounds line for offense.
I love this game.
Alan
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

General rule is: there is no backcourt violation on throw-ins but all backcourt rules still apply meaning you can throw the ball into the backcourt on a throw-in after being in the frontcourt but you have to watch player location on the throw-in.

If player receives pass in the air from his leaving his feet in the frontcourt last and the defensive player touches the inbounds pass, you now immediately have to go with player location at that moment which in this case is the receiving player being in the frontcourt, receives inbounds pass and now lands in the backcourt for a violation.

A shot off the rim touching the offensive man and into the backcourt shows no possession yet so legal to retrieve ball in backcourt.

Same for an inbounds pass from baseline with throw lofting to the half-court line where a receiving offensive player is not sure where his location is so he jumps and tips the ball into the backcourt making it all legal with no possession. But if touched by defense on inbounds pass, it ends and player location is immediately established. Mid-court immediately becomes an out of bounds line for offense.
I love this game.
Alan
You may love this game, but you're still wrong.
We know about the new play rulings. You are still wrong.

Do you want me to explain why to you or shall we let you live in ignorant bliss?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I love this game.
Alan
You are so wrong it's hard to decide where to start.

It doesn't matter who touches the ball. If no team control is established, the "offensive" team can recover the ball in their backcourt any time.

You're getting confused about two very different scenarios.

If a player tips a throw-in pass, then an offensive player catches the ball while airborne from the frontcourt he/she creates player and team control with frontcourt status at that time. When he/she lands in the backcourt, it's a backcourt violation.

The only time a player can jump from his/her frontcourt, catch the ball, and land in his/her backcourt is during a throw-in. That is the 9.3.3 exception. It has nothing to do with recovering a ball that has backcourt status.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rule 9.9.3: A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. (Casebook Situation)
Note: The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball.
In your example above, team control was established. When A1 leaps from front court and secures control in the air, player and team control is established at that point in time (Point 1). Beacause A1 is in the air and lept from the front court and has touched the ball, the ball has front court status (point 2). A1 is holding the ball as he lands in back court (points 3 and 4 are now satisfied). Now we can call the back court violation.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good job. It's not often that someone can resurrect a 6-year old thread and be so wrong about it.