The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Furthermore, even for someone using the rubber band techinque, it's a lot less confusing to just always point to the basket, as the arrow would. Pointing to the bench must be unbelievably difficult.
Actually Rainmaker, I've found that facing the bench and pointing is better for me than pointing to the basket because of your center of reference. If you have your back to the table, or you forget which way you are standing, which could easily occur after several games, and point to the basket, you could easily get reversed and be wrong. My way, I have to always face the table and in the first half of the game, I always call the color. So I face the bench, band on my left hand, point to left side bench, blue ball. It doesn't matter which way blue is going. Sometimes in these AAU type games, we don't always line then up opposite bench for the jump.

Another point here which goes to Mr.JR point is working multiple games. I will speak for myself here. After several games, my concentration starts to fall off, and I forget which team had the last jump ball. So I do the rubber band as a failsafe to me forgetting. Of course, this is not needed in a regulation game because table personal takes care of this. So in a regulation game you are right, we can not have a rubber band on our hands. We also are not supposed to have on rings either but I see a lot of officials with their rings on even at the state playoff's.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Apr 18, 2007 at 07:37am.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wow - an entire website dedicated to a single product? God bless the internet.

I tend to agree - seems it would be easier to keep track in your head than use this thing. I'll use the whistle as backup for games where there is no arrow (or the scorer/timer doesn't know how to use it), but for HS and above, I'm watching the table.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Sometimes in these AAU type games, we don't always line then up opposite bench for the jump.
You may not, but in my games, we do. In all the games around here, we do.
Quote:
So in a regulation game you are right, we can not have a rubber band on our hands. We also are not supposed to have on rings either but I see a lot of officials with their rings on even at the state playoff's.
Wrong.

I've never heard this rule. This is the exception to the jewelry prohibition for officials. I've never heard of a single state, area, or rule set, where the officials aren't allowed to wear their wedding rings.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Wedding bands are acceptable and its up to the individual Association on that kind of stuff. But FWIW, a medalion hanging from your thick gold chain would draw a lot of attention!!!!! Bling - Bling!!!!
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
iirc, you're a relatively newer official. The technique you suggest is often used by newer officials (or, and MTD points out, in summer games where you're working several games in a row with less-than-perfect table personnel and equipment). As you gain more experience, you should try to wean yourself from this habit and remember the arrow.
Nope - yours is one opinion and I know very respected college officials who do this as well. I do not see this as a new official gimic but as a good habit begun at the right time.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Nope - yours is one opinion and I know very respected college officials who do this as well. I do not see this as a new official gimic but as a good habit begun at the right time.
Seriously? I've never worked with a single college official (or a top-notch HS official) that uses a device to keep track of the arrow (rubber band, whistle in the pocket etc.) They have all learned to manage the arrow that the official scorekeeper uses.

Low-level games where the official scorekeeper makes a mess of the arrow are the perfect place to practice arrow management.

IMO, nothing screams "rookie" or "sloppy veteran" like the rubber band technique or something similar. I've been to camps where an observer comes over and takes a rubber band (or whistle) away from a camper and tosses it in the nearest garbage can.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 11:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It's probably more of a case that Daryl would be ashamed to be seen wearing one.

So true, so true. And then there is the fact that he has to officiate with me too.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Seriously?
Yes, seriously - well respected officials. I started using a whistle in my pocket my first year and it is now what I consider to be a good habit, so I'll keep it [well, now I use an empty Listerine-strip packet]. Do you seriously find that most officials accurately keep track of the arrow in their heads?? I can't imagine using a rubber band - bad example for the players if nothing else.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:36am
Do not give a damn!!

I am with Z on this one as well. I have never seen an official of any significance use such a device. I have seen people who are not so knowledgeable use a whistle from time to time. But I am talking about someone that might actually work a varsity game, but are not at all in the top echelon. I have never seen a college official even try such a thing and I have never been to a camp where this was advocated. So maybe this is something that is allowed where you live. Where I live you would be laughed at big time by the so called big wigs that work games or assign them.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
... So maybe this is something that is allowed where you live. Where I live you would be laughed at big time by the so called big wigs that work games or assign them.

Peace
I'll look for an opportunity to ask about this at camp this weekend. Keeping track of the arrow in a variety of ways has never been disparaged by anyone I have worked with. Like I said, I find it to be a good technique to keep me alert (or make me aware of inattentiveness) during a game, and having confidence in the arrow pays off.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:11am
Do not give a damn!!

What are you going to do when you forget to move the whistle (or device)?

Peace
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 04:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I have never seen a college official even try such a thing and I have never been to a camp where this was advocated.
I have heard the following comment at camps when a few officials were spotted using this technique......"Not ready yet."

I agree with Bob J's original comment, as well as Z's and JRut's.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What are you going to do when you forget to move the whistle (or device)?
Not worry about it and keep track of the arrow as best as I can.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in a regulation game you are right, we can not have a rubber band on our hands. We also are not supposed to have on rings either but I see a lot of officials with their rings on even at the state playoffs.

It is astonishing how someone can be so completely wrong, with such consistency. I personally think (if it were possible) harder than if you were completely right all of the time. congrats! You are an entertaining read.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Not worry about it and keep track of the arrow as best as I can.
My point is that if you mess up than you are in the same boat without the device. If you are so reliant on a device, then you lose your own ability to think through what just took place. If nothing else, I would think you would want to remember why we are giving the ball back to a particular team.

Peace