The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The Possession Switch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33722-possession-switch.html)

tjones1 Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:31pm

The Possession Switch

http://www.possessionswitch.com

Anyone going to try one of these out?

I just read about it in the May 2007 Referee.

Nevadaref Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:43pm

These have been around for quite a while. They may be new to you, but not many of us. ;)

The problem with them is that if you forget to switch it, then what are you going to do?

My advice is to just use the arrow at the table and take a look to ensure that it changes when it should. Keep it simple.

Daryl H. Long Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:45pm

Not me. Besides it costs as much as a whistle. I can spend that money on something other than a devise that makes me do the scorer's job.

Next they will try to sell us a devise we can put on one finger of each hand so we can keep track of points. Maybe a white one for the home team to be placed on right hand and a black one on left hand for the visitors.
Something similar to the devises that track the number of people entering a
game.

tjones1 Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:48pm

I was thinking something like this was already out there. However, I was under the impression it fixed on the top of your whistle.

Either way, I don't plan on using it...I can keep track in my head. :)

jkjenning Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:54am

Whistle[Listerine pocket pack, whatever] in the pocket works... right pocket goes to home, left to visitors or whatever your scheme. I'm not going to rely on remembering the arrow and tracking the arrow myself gives me a good indicator of how alert I am and/or how alert the table crew is. I don't want to spend more money for an extra device, though.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Apr 17, 2007 08:25am

Daryl knows that I have had owned a couple of possession switches for a number of years. I have them on two of my Fox 40's. I rarely use them and when I do it is usually in youth summer recreational leagues and H.S. team summer camps where there is no AP Arrow to begin with. They do affect the sound of the whistle somewhat. I would never use them during real games, i.e., H.S., college, and summer national tournaments.

And yes, Daryl is that cheap as not to buy one.

MTD, Sr.

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 17, 2007 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
And yes, Daryl is that cheap as not to buy one.

It's probably more of a case that Daryl would be ashamed to be seen wearing one.:D

Old School Tue Apr 17, 2007 08:57am

Rubber band, face the table, rubber band goes on hand that points to bench.

Jump ball, face the table, rubber band on right hand, point to team bench on the right side of table. Change to the other hand b4 you put ball back in play. Don't set to the basket like the arrow would point if there was an arrow, because this will screw you up in the 1st half.

bob jenkins Tue Apr 17, 2007 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjenning
Whistle[Listerine pocket pack, whatever] in the pocket works... right pocket goes to home, left to visitors or whatever your scheme. I'm not going to rely on remembering the arrow and tracking the arrow myself gives me a good indicator of how alert I am and/or how alert the table crew is. I don't want to spend more money for an extra device, though.

iirc, you're a relatively newer official. The technique you suggest is often used by newer officials (or, and MTD points out, in summer games where you're working several games in a row with less-than-perfect table personnel and equipment). As you gain more experience, you should try to wean yourself from this habit and remember the arrow.

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 17, 2007 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School
Rubber band, face the table, rubber band goes on hand that points to bench.

Jump ball, face the table, rubber band on right hand, point to team bench on the right side of table. Change to the other hand b4 you put ball back in play. Don't set to the basket like the arrow would point if there was an arrow, because this will screw you up in the 1st half.

Sigh.....

It never stops. A perfect 593 for 593. :rolleyes:

Players are not allowed to wear rubber bands. It's in the rules. You'll have to trust trust me on that, seeing that you and rulebooks are strangers to each other. It isn't recommended that officials wear anything that players aren't allowed to use.

The only people that would even consider doing anything like that are the Old Schools of the world. It might be OK in rec leagues, but it sureasheck doesn't fly anywhere else. Don't be <b>that guy</b>.

Is that the recommended procedure used in your college games, OS?

Adam Tue Apr 17, 2007 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

JR, sorry, but I have to be fair.

You misspelled "intramural."

zebraman Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1

Heck no. Just another excuse (device) to avoid learning how to manage the possession arrow.

rainmaker Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Sigh.....

It never stops. A perfect 593 for 593. :rolleyes:

Players are not allowed to wear rubber bands. It's in the rules. You'll have to trust trust me on that, seeing that you and rulebooks are strangers to each other. It isn't recommended that officials wear anything that players aren't allowed to use.

The only people that would even consider doing anything like that are the Old Schools of the world. It might be OK in rec leagues, but it sureasheck doesn't fly anywhere else. Don't be <b>that guy</b>.

Furthermore, even for someone using the rubber band techinque, it's a lot less confusing to just always point to the basket, as the arrow would. Pointing to the bench must be unbelievably difficult.

Jimgolf Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:32am

From one of the pages on the website: "This product may reduce the performance of the Fox 40 whistles."

Caveat emptor.

IREFU2 Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1

Its easier to keep the possessions in your head!!!!!