The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Boys 8B game last night. A1 is shooting 1st shot of 1+1, and I'm Trail. A2 lines up in 1st spot, followed by B1. A1 has the ball and is in his shooting motion. A2 & B1 notice the mistake and quickly switch spots before the ball hits the rim.

It was my partner's call, and he called against A2. (Or would have--the shot didn't go in.) If I hadn't caught the error before administering the ball, I'm thinking I would have called B1. Glad I didn't have to decide. Since I'm not sure, I probably wouldn't have called anything!
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Double violation. No one from B was in the space closest to the basket. A1 was in the space closest to the basket.

Also, both players moving causes a double violation.

Cancel the FT and go to the arrow.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'd call bad game management. Who administered the free throws with the players in the wrong positions? You should never give the ball to the shooter until B has occupied both low block positions. If they fail to do so, point it out and get it right before giving the ball to the shooter.

Given that the free throw never should have been doen in the first place, I would correct the referee error and re-shoot the first throw.
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I should also point out that I was looking at level of play - MS. If it was varsity HS, I'd probably go with mark's call, but still have an Aw S**t on the ref as well.

bard, I must also say I do not understand your point about having a violation on B if you catch this before administering the free throw. I have no violation, and a referee making the correction for both players prior to giving the ball to A. 8-1-1a says the ball is given to the shooter and then b says that either or both teams may be charged with a violation. No ball to shooter, no violation.

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Dec 7th, 2001 at 09:00 PM]
Old Fri Dec 07, 2001, 10:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I'd call bad game management. Who administered the free throws with the players in the wrong positions? You should never give the ball to the shooter until B has occupied both low block positions. If they fail to do so, point it out and get it right before giving the ball to the shooter.

Given that the free throw never should have been doen in the first place, I would correct the referee error and re-shoot the first throw.
Coach,you're right in that the lead official should have made sure that everyone was lined up legally before giving the ball to the FT shooter.After that though,this is not a correctable error.We can't go back and re-do it,by rule.Besides that,why would we re-shoot it anyway?Both the offense and the defense committed violations.Why penalize the defense only,and ignore the offensive violation by letting the shooter have a substitute FT?If you were coaching the defense,you would have been all over us-and rightfully so!
Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

I'll concede no reshoot. But if the shot hasn't gone, you see the switch happening, I think it's time to realize you made an error, blow the whistle, set it right, then adminster the free throw. Just my thoughts.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2001, 01:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I'll concede no reshoot. But if the shot hasn't gone, you see the switch happening, I think it's time to realize you made an error, blow the whistle, set it right, then adminster the free throw. Just my thoughts.
Coach,I agree completely with you.Get the ball back from the shooter and straighten 'em out,if you can.Once the shooter lets go though,like the sitch above,you really don't have a choice.You have to call it,and you might as well get one right on the sequence.